Hello

Options
pcole88
pcole88 Member Posts: 3
edited 19. Oct 2015, 14:13 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone,

I'm Phoebe and I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my right knee following an xray on 7th September.

I have an active job which requires me to kneel/squat/go up and down stairs for my entire shift. I am finding this increasingly difficult and painful. Having spoken with my manager she told me there's nothing she can do as it's part of the job.

I'm doing home exercises and using NSAIDs but am finding no improvement.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Nice to meet you all

Regards,

Phoebe

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Phoebe

Welcome to the forums where I'm sure you will get a lot of help and good advice from all the lovely people on here.

It is a little quiet being the weekend, but I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to help.

We are here if you need any support to do with using the forums. Many of the mods have some of the many varieties of arthritis and we all know about the feelings that go along with having it.

Do read and post across the different topics that you will find here.
    All best wishes
    Mod B
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I have OA in both knees and both ankles so I empathise with the discomfort, it does make life harder doesn't it? NSAIDs are of some use (we often don't find out how much until we stop taking them, thinking they weren't doing anything) but in terms of OA there is not much to be done to ease things for the long-term. Exercising is good (especially non-weight bearing such as cycling and swimming) because these help to strengthen the muscles that support the joint.

Your work sounds to be very physical which must be tiring on the sore joint. How long is your shift? Are you able to take any breaks where you can sit with your knee supported on another chair, just to give it a rest? I have to do stairs like a three-year old (have done for years) and that might help to ease the strain on your knee; the mantra for going up is 'Good leg to Heaven' so that goes first then the bad leg joins it on the step, then for coming down it's 'Bad leg to Hell'. You might also benefit from wearing a neoprene knee support but only while at work, if we wear these things for too long our muscles become lazy.

I hope you find the forum to be of interest and I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Phoebe and a warm welcome for me
    I am so grateful I was ready for retirement when I started with OA...if you read the links in living with arthritis you will get lots of advice...there are steroid injections for the pain ..your GP would have to refer you for these..Its really down to resting in between what you do, not easy when you are working...I do hope you find the forum helpful..
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hello Phoebe, and welcome.

I`m sorry I can`t add to what others have said - I have RA plus some OA, but so far my knees aren`t too bad, thankfully.

I hope you find something to help.
  • pcole88
    pcole88 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :)

In response to dd's questions; I have one half hour break; I work an 8 hour shift. Also I have got a neoprene knee support (bought it from Boots), however I find I can only wear it for half my shift as my knee gets too hot in it and becomes more swollen at the end of the day (I have tried re-adjusting it throughout my shift and it didn't help).

I'm definitely going to give the stair rules a go :)

Your pearls of wisdom are much appreciated everyone.

Hope all had a good Monday!