Indulging in nostalgia

daffy2
daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
edited 31. Dec 2015, 06:33 in Community Chit-chat archive
There was a programme on BBC4 tonight about the early days of childrens' TV - brought back so many memories - Vision On, Take Hart, Magic Roundabout, Clangers.
I was also reminded of how I used to watch John Craven's Newsround well past childhood as a palatable way to keep up with the news.
Are there any programmes today which are a pleasure for adults to watch with their children in the way those ones were? My mother really disliked TV but would try and make time for Magic Roundabout for its gentle, and not infrequently slightly subversive, humour. We were well past the target age and so could appreciate it at adult level as well - an episode which brought in the word 'thespian' sticks in my mind.....Couldn't happen today.

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    daffy I love to watch in the night garden with my GD ..its so relaxing..and the little princess I haven't seen it for a while but we have it on disc..oh and peppa :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I watched it too, what struck me was the slower and softer pace of the presenters. Needless to say Mr DD was irked but I was watching through a child's eyes. My Pa and me loved the Magic Roundabout (17.45 every week day). I can hear the music . . . . dee-dee-dee-dah-dah-didn-didn-doo-doo-
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I was baby sitting my nieces(mum and dad were at a school open evening) and zebedee said time for bed they both went up stairs after 5 mins or so they came down again pjs on smelling of tooth paste, got a book and i read the princess and the pea while they had milk then off to bed where they had 10 mins reading to themselves by 7 o'clock they were fast asleep and all because zebedee said so.The eldest ones son has just got engaged where have the years gone. Mig
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Was magic Roundabout on just before the news? I seem to remember it was on before my Dad sat down for the 6 o Clock news and we all had to be quiet.

I loved Vision on. I had the pleasure of meeting Tony Hart when I was young and getting his autograph. He drew me a cartoon dog.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    tkachev wrote:
    Was magic Roundabout on just before the news? I seem to remember it was on before my Dad sat down for the 6 o Clock news and we all had to be quiet.

Elizabeth

So did we Elizabeth!! None of that nowadays :wink:

What was the program where the animals 'talked'????

I loved watching the teletubbies with Charley when she was little - she wanted to get in the telly with them :) and of course Pingu! For Lucy (sadly) it was the tweenies :roll:

Love

Toni xxx
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    My son adored Pingu and now his own daughter is similarly engaged. Her love of penguins has evidently been inherited from her father, but she has the added advantage of being able to see them for real as they belong to London Zoo and make frequent visits.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I loved Pingu, the fact I was in my thirties was not relevant. Now it's Sean the Sheep, Mr DD has bought me the film for Christmas! Yaaaaaaaay! :cheesygrin: Did anyone watch The farmer's Llamas? Chortle chortle chortle :lol:

Do you mean Animal Magic, Toni? The one with Johnny Morris? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    daffy2 wrote:
    I was also reminded of how I used to watch John Craven's Newsround well past childhood as a palatable way to keep up with the news.

Most of the Senior Common Room at the college where Mr SW worked did the same :D

I loved watching the programmes others have mentioned with my little ones. When my younger son was on his gap year we re-visited some together and had a whale of a time.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright