Dental treatment

theresak
theresak Member Posts: 1,998
edited 19. Jan 2016, 09:45 in Community Chit-chat archive
Having attended the same dental practice since childhood, OH and I decided to move about two years ago, as the aforementioned practice was - not to put too fine a point on it - going to the dogs. They were also 'done' for poor hygiene practice, which was the last straw for me.

The new practice is 'state of the art,' with lots of bright young things looking super-efficient. Today, one of them made me cross - I had X-rays, check-up, then a scale & polish. Normally, as per the instructions from my rheumy, I'm given an antibiotic, in case of infection. So far, so good. Today, however, I got no prescription - the reason being my treatment had been 'non-invasive.' I was informed of this while I was spitting out blood where she'd caught my gums with her scraper.

My rheumy is emphatic that I have a 5 day course after any invasive treatment. Surely shredded gum counts as invasive? I left the phone numbers of my rheumy, my Biologics Nurse and my GP and said I would return tomorrow for my prescription.

Watch this space.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That's not good, is it? As usual we bump into others' ignorance but, because they are the 'professional' they think they are correct and possibly that we are hysterical ninnies. If you are not given a script find out why and then lodge a formal complaint - anything involving blood means an open wound no matter how small that may be. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    This is difficult, isn't it? My old dentist retired a few years ago and I love the new one who has changed premises and we, too, are state of the art with Hockney painting to look at :o

I've never had instructions from my rheumatologist re dentistry and never considered anti-bios for my 6 monthly scale and polish though, yes, there's usually a spot of blood.

I know there are now real concerns about the routine uses of antibios which is probably why mine was uncertain 2 weeks ago, after extracting a root that the previous dentist had left in :? , whether to give me some or not. I didn't expect trouble. I'd told her I'd omitted my meth that day so we had two clear weeks and I also told her I never had post op problems. So we left it that I'd ring in immediately if anything went even slightly wrong and she told me the warning signs to look for.. It hasn't.

I was happy with this but I'm sure that, if I'd said my rheumatologist said I must have them, my dentist would have given them.

I'd suggest you contact your rheumatology helpline to ensure that they still want routine antibios in view of the new medical guidelines. If they do then your dentist must comply.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    they should know this...infection from the teeth can be quite speedy..so make sure you get that prescription very soon..
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    All sorted now. I left a message this morning with my rheumy nurse, who phoned me back at mid-day.My consultant`s instructions are that as long as I`m on a biologic therapy I`m to have an antibiotic after any invasive treatment - the mouth, according to her, is a `cradle for bacteria.` Karl, my rheumy nurse said he`d fax instructions to them, and clearly he already has, as the dental receptionist has just rang to inform me I have a prescription to collect.

The dental practice do have `form` in this respect, as last year I had something hard and sharp poking through my gum. I thought it was a wisdom tooth which had erupted - mine are all impacted & no-one will extract them due to their position lying on the nerves. One or other of them have broken through the gum over the years, then healed over. This time, however, the dentist was able to remove the `thing` which turned out to be a very fine sliver of bone, necessitating an appointment with the maxillo-facial man.By the time the appointment came round, the gum had healed over, so he said I`d have to come back if it happened again. I was given a 3 day course of penicillin, but ended up at my GP a week later with a very inflamed gum. He said it should have been a 7 day course, and indeed after that it cleared.

Sorry for the ramble - my teeth are obviously complicated. The MF man looked at my X-rays and said he ` wouldn`t touch those wisdom teeth with a bargepole.`

It may be easier to swallow ( excuse pun) this state of affairs if I could claim to be wise, but alas, this is not the case.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I would strongly dispute that last sentence. I think you have sorted this out very sensibly and wisely, especially given your former problems. I hope they remain sorted for future visits.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright