Gallbladder op is done

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 4. Feb 2016, 03:18 in Community Chit-chat archive
Just to say my gallbladder op was done as planned on 18th Jan. The surgeon said it came out easily. I was admitted at 7am and on my way home about 4pm.

Thankfully I was first on the list, so by 8.30am I was on my way to theatre, and back in my room by about 10.30am. Although I asked, I wasn't allowed to keep (or even see) my gallstones and I suspect they, together with the gallbladder, were disposed of in medical waste. :roll: :roll:

I'm very sore, can't lift anything, bend or twist. Going from laying propped up in bed to a sitting position is extremely difficult (can't lay flat at the moment or on my side so am sleeping on my back propped up), and rising from sitting to standing is also challenging and I can't get to my feet so getting socks and shoes on is impossible. Thankfully I only had to keep the TED stockings on until this morning.

I have 4 keyhole wounds which are dressed. Dressings are to be changed by my practice nurse on Thursday. Pain is generally under control from the op - thanks to my usual Tramadol.

I'm definitely off work for the next 3 weeks, which I'll review in 2 weeks time.

I have been looking in on the Forum, but haven't felt well enough to post until now so apologies if I've missed anything. I'll keep reading and will update again in a couple of days' time.

Thanks for reading.
GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi GraceB
    Welcome back after your op.Glad everything went ok,just rest and take things carefully.
    Look forward to your updates,but only when you are up to it!
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oooooh I can truly empathise with the lying sitting standing thing: many moons ago I had an emergency slash and grab to remove a nasty cyst (it weighed in around 3.8 kgs, attached to my right ovary) and my intestines had been resting on it: once it was out they were left slopping around and oh BOY that hurt!

It may be keyhole surgery but it still rates as a gross disturbance of your insides - things will improve as time goes on though, so be sensible, rest, rest and rest some more. Don't worry about us, we'll be here when you're up to it. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Pleased it went well, Grace. Take it easy and give yourself time to heal, now. I can remember the struggle I had to get out of bed in the early days, but that will improve!

Meg
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Grace I am so glad it went well for you..things have changes so much with keyhole, I remember my mum being in hospital nearly 10 days...now dont forget because you are home soon that you still need to recuperate..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Glad it went well but as everyone else has said take it easy and rest, rest and then get some more rest!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I`m glad it`s over for you, Grace - hope your recovery is straightforward and speedy.
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Glad your op went well Grace and I hope your recovery is speedy
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Home again with all invasive stuff done. I'm pleased it all went well, Grace. Of course things will be rough for a while. The four small wounds you can see will bear no relationship to what has gone on inside so I imagine 'gently does it' will be the operative phrase for now.

To be frank, I couldn't ever see them letting you take the stones home as health and safety must feature in these things. After several days' worth of trying, they finally managed to grow a tiny bit of bacterial culture on my removed TKR and that meant antibios for 6 weeks for me.

Update when you are ready and not before. You have other priorities right now.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • prefabkid47
    Hi grace

Glad the op went ok and hope you are now on the road to recovery.

I see you live in Ashford,have wondered whether this was Kent or Middlesex........... :?:

From your posts this appears to be Kent.I live just down the A251 in Faversham.

Was your op done at the William Harvey,was there today (Tuesday) and will be back there next Wednesday.But will ring the changes the next day when I shall be at the Kent and Canterbury Hospital..... :!:

It seems days out have become appointments............. :(

Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • GraceB
    Thanks for your replies and good wishes. I've been looking in regularly the past few days and thought it was now a good time to give an update.

I still can't bend, lift, twist. Going from laying to sitting is still challenge. Laughing and coughing hurts and I've been told not to sneeze or hiccup under any circumstances. The only "gastric challenges I have are that my system has "slowed down" if you get my drift and I'm still very windy. :roll: My apologies if you are reading this whilst eating.

My wounds were checked Thursday by a nurse at my Doctor's surgery. She put new dressings on and was pleased with the wounds. I have steristrips as well as the dissolvable stitches apparently. I have to go back next Friday to have the dressings removed and a final wound check.

If I do something I'm wiped out for an hour afterwards but I'm only a week post-op today and I expected this would happen. I'm feeling a little low tonight but I suspect it's because it's the end of the day and I'm tired. Coping with only minimal help (if that some days) is exhausting at the best of times with OA, let alone when you are also post op from abdominal surgery on top.

I'm sure that things will improve soon. I'm a typical Taurean - stubborn and impatient!

Ron - I've PM'd you but you are right in your guess where I live. We're only minutes from each other - you lucky person!

GraceB
  • prefabkid47
    Hi GraceB
    Thanks for the PM.
    When I'm at the Harvey next week and see someone who can't bend,lift or twist and is trying not to laugh or cough will give you a wave......... :wink:
    Hope you soon feel better and all goes well next Friday.
    Ron
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hope every day gets a little better for you Grace..one step at a time.. :) x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I hope things are continuing to improve. It's never at the speed we would wish but you are experienced enough not to attempt to overdo things. I also think the mood changes are quite normal and understandable after a major op. We all long to be home but that brings its own set of difficulties. Keep on keeping on :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Thanks for the continued encouragement. It's still early days and my body is telling me this. I'm trying to rest and to pace myself.

I'm still being challenged by my "slow digestive system" and have now resorted to good old liquorice. My pain meds don't help with this I know, and my system is still adjusting to no gallbladder. In the meantime, I'll keep eating loads of fruit, vegetables, high fibre food, drinking lots of water and hope these, together with the liquorice, have the desired effect.

Oh - I've realised I put the wrong date on my first post. My op was done on 16th January - not the 18th! Must have still been "under the influence of the anaesthetic". :oops:

GraceB
  • GraceB
    Hi, just to say I'm doing okay.

Dressings came off as planned last Friday and the nurse at my surgery was pleased with how the wounds looked. Two of the wounds had steristrips attached still, but they loosened overnight so I removed them the following morning.

The main incision (by my navel) is still extremely sore and today I had to - very carefully - trim a stitch that was sticking out and catching on my clothing. (The nurse said I could do this if necessary). I've got some Vaseline to put onto the scars as the nurse recommended that. I should be going back to clinic for a post-op check at about the 8 week stage, but haven't got the date as yet for that.

I still get tired very easily, bending is a challenge and I'm only just beginning to be able to sleep for a few moments on my side. There's still some bruising, swelling and tenderness but the nurse on Friday said this is all perfectly normal. She also suggested that if I needed to cough or sneeze, I should grab a cushion (or a cardi/jumper if no cushion available) and hold that against my abdomen for a few weeks yet.

I'm due to go back to work next Monday, but will go straight into what is called a "return to work interview" - which is what the title implies. I'll talk through with my Line Manager my restrictions (predominantly the inability to lift and avoiding twisting, jarring movements, etc.,), agree slightly adjusted hours for the first week and then it'll be slowly get on with things.

Although I've not posted a lot the last couple of weeks, reading this Forum through has, as per usual, kept me from climbing the walls metaphorically, so thanks to everyone for such interesting posts. Thanks also for your good wishes and support through my diagnosis, the wait for the surgery and my recovery to-date.

GraceB
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    It's still early days Grace, one step at a time now. Take it easy for 6 weeks at the very least. Any invasive surgery involves internal bruising which is painful for the first month. After that I guess it would be ok to take a few steps around the house. But wait for 6 weeks before signing up for any marathons.
    Ron
    xxx
  • GraceB
    Thanks Ron. I probably should have said I have a desk-based job and work the front half of the week only. I'm very fortunate in that I've been provided with all the equipment I need.

I had to call into my Doctor's surgery today and ask for an urgent appointment as the scar by my navel had gone red and I'd had a very small amount of pus from one side of it. The senior nurse who I saw took a look, wasn't sure if it was infected so got one of the GP's.

He had a look, felt my abdomen and then asked permission to sniff my navel area! :!: Yes - you did read that right. I had a GP sniffing my navel area to see if he could smell infection. :oops: :oops:

The GP said the wound is inflamed and there is a tiny, tiny area of infection but he felt my own immune system is likely to deal with this. My instructions? Keep an eye on this and if it gets worse and/or develops a smell I'm to get to the surgery straight away when a GP will see me even if they have to squeeze me in. I took the chance to check if I should return to work next week or not and he said I was fine to work so it was good to be able to ask that question.

That experience was a first for me ...

GraceB
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    How unusual but what a good idea! He must have a good sense of smell - thank heavens he didn't have a cold :wink:

Ron is spot-on - wise words from him there. I think the cushion idea is a good one, I wish someone had told me that trick after my slash-and-grab! If you keep doing all the right things then I am sure your full recovery will be sooner rather than later. For what it's worth I think you are doing fine so keep up the good work. DD

:balloon:
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben