Is this Good for Me? Probably Not!

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 5. Feb 2016, 14:45 in Community Chit-chat archive
I did my injection this morning and decided to reward myself with a treat for breakfast; I'm halfway through and relishing every mouthful. I have scrambled some eggs with a little skimmed milk, stirred in chopped smoked trout and served with a generous sprinkling of freshly milled black pepper. It's quite rich (and to my taste buds very salty) but the burst of pepper makes the difference. I usually add smoked salmon but the trout is a step up on the 'treat' front.

Do you have a favourite breakfast treat? One of my friends likes croissants with Marmite. :shock: DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That sounds lovely DD and I prefer trout to smoked salmon.

My treat has always been bacon, egg and fried bread. My Mum used to make it for me and it is associated with comfort. I've upgraded to 2 bits of bacon and sometimes 2 eggs!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Definitely good for you DD. Lots of useful nourishment in the fish and eggs but, at least as important, it's also giving you pleasure. Given the grotty time you've been having that's an important consideration.
  • dreamdaisy
    How very true, Daffy! I have probably over-trouted in the past 24 hours as dinner last night was a whole trout each with spuds and peas, a lovely girlie dinner: Mr DD endured as best he could. :wink:

I've never been an eggs-and-bacon girl tkachev, but fried bread? Oh my word - how truly yummy. I haven't had any of that for years now and probably won't ever again because fried food no longer plays a part in my diet - I far prefer baked, boiled or steamed. Mr DD keeps threatening to take me to Jack's Café in Ipswich for a 'full English'. I've avoided it for twenty-plus years and fully intend to keep doing so! DD
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    At the risk of sounding boring (or dare I say self righteous) every morning I have porridge - made with jumbo oats and soya milk,then mix in dried prunes.................. :roll:

Must admit I do enjoy (and am allowed!) a full English,a treat when on holiday but do have to cook it myself.My OH draws the line at fried black pudding................. :D

A bunch of us from our archaeological group do meet occasionally at our local Weth****oons for early full English (08.00am).Mine was washed down with a pint......... :shock: They could not believe that anyone could drink beer that time of morning,I apologised saying that it was a bit late in the day............... :lol:

You enjoy your trout DD (do you remove the head first,or does it look at you all the time.......... :?: ).

Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I'm another that sounds boring ,but I love my porridge..between smoked salmon and trout it would be the salmon..you enjoy DD
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Not so much 'what' as 'how' for me. I discovered when the kids were young that it was far better to get them off to school first and only then have a leisurely, hassle-free breakfast with the newspaper until my joints had 'thawed out'.

I dislike fry ups at any time. Normally it's fruit and toast or cereals but I could do the scrambled egg with trout or salmon later in the day.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    I have probably over-trouted
    This reminds me of an incident many years ago, can't remember the context, but was standing in the vicinity of a tiresome woman holding forth about the merits of brown trout when a voice behind me muttered 'takes one to know one'.
  • dreamdaisy
    I rather like that, Daffy!

My trout, Ron, are now beheaded by the fishmonger. I used to be able to cope (just) with the beheading but as my hands are getting weaker the action is taking longer. I am squeamish and dislike eating anything that still has its head attached (and in the case of whitebait everything else too). I will happily decapitate a prawn or twenty though. Contrary old bird am I. DD
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    sounds absolutely wonderful DD making my mouth water just thinking about it
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Kippers is the only thing to get up for, local ones, yum yum!
  • dreamdaisy
    I love any kind of fish for breakfast but get fed up with the kippers' little bones - and the thirst that follows! DD
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Try cooking them just a few seconds longer, the fish should just fall off the bones in large chunks, a bite of toast and a swig of yorkshire and the flavour will drive you to a mellow state!