Hello from London

Trea
Trea Member Posts: 28
edited 5. Feb 2016, 06:04 in Say Hello Archive
Hello everybody,
I am new to Arthritis and have OA of the lower spine and am still getting my head around it. There are good days and bad days and I am getting to know my body. Had my first big scare when my back went into a spasm and have now figured out that carrying on when it is really painful doesn't work at all (I can hear you all saying *doh*). Nonetheless having a really good spell atm (thanks to drugs?) and am grateful for this forum.
Andrea

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Andrea

Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

Do explore & post across the different sections: I'm sure you will find any help & answers to any questions you may have.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

All best wishes
    Mod B
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Hi Andrea, welcome to the forum, sorry you had to find us as we say! I can sympathise with the back spasm situation, as I used to have quite a few problems due to scoliosis(curvature of the spine). What helped me was finding an excellent osteopath who worked on the muscles to 'unknot' them, and in between whiles it was up to me to be aware of how I was using my body to avoid tension from being lopsided( Alexander technique helped there). Something like OA(which I have developed in multiple joints and the spine over the last 3 years) can make us use our body in ways that are not always helpful and lead to muscle imbalance and tension, which as you've found is most unpleasant! It might be worth discussing physio with your GP, and perhaps looking into something like Pilates.
    It is difficult trying to come to terms with the up and down nature of the condition, and as for getting the balance between keeping active, leading a 'normal' life, and knowing when to slow down or take it easy, well.... as you read through posts on Living with Arthritis you'll find that none of us gets it right all the time!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I have two kinds of arthritis, the joint damage from the first (an auto-immune one called psoriatic) has led to OA joining the party but I am fortunate in that my back is not affected as yet.

It takes time to adjust to the new circumstances of our lives and it must be far harder to do if you are coming at this from a healthy background. Daffy is quite right, no matter how long one has been playing the arthritis game it is still easy to get things 'wrong' in doing too much - learning to let things go is hard. I used to be reasonably tidy and reasonably house-proud, now I'm neither. I do what I can do when I can do it; I'm nearly twenty years in, with around forty affected joints and they now rule my roost. :wink:

I keep pain-relief to a minimum because I find the feedback useful, and I always stop an activity when I think I can do more. I was fortunate in that I could retire at an early age (53 I think) and that relieved a deal of daily stress, even though I was self-employed and could tailor things to suit me it all became too much. What are you taking to help you? With OA it's usually a case of pain relief and maybe an anti-inflammatory med (with a stomach protector). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi from me too :D though I won't be much use to you as my back is my best 'feature' in terms of joints :lol: Please join in anywhere. Living With Arthritis and Chit Chat are the most popular forums. I'll look forward to seeing you around.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Trea
    Hi daffy, thanks for the welcome. I am actually referred to physio (back in November) and will see someone beginning of march. I am also waiting for a new back pain Pilate's class to start. Good to know I am on the right track. Thanks for the info
    Andrea
  • Trea
    Hi DD,
    Very reassuring post.I am taking naproxen ATM. Though they forgot to tell me how much so it's a bit of a guessing game. It's only short time though and than I am down for injections (infiltration).
    I will follow your advice and check the other foren out too.
    A
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Doesn't it say how many to take? If not, do check with your local pharmacist as to what is a safe dose. It's years since I took it so can't remember but NSAIDS such as naproxen have to be used with respect. Have you been prescribed a stomach-protecting med to go with it?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Trea
    Hi Stickywicket,
    I have read the instructions and researched around and taking a minimum to moderate dose and as it doesn't last for more that two weeks in total I should be fine. not stomach med and I wouldn't be able to speak to GP before time is up. Service is a bit rubbish here but once I know more about OA and myself I can ask for what I need. You live and learn..
    thanks though