alcohol

gin
gin Member Posts: 4
hello, can anyone advise if cutting out alcohol has a significant impact on joint pain?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Gin and welcome to the forums. Interesting username given the subject of your first post :)

You may also like to introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about why you have come to the forums.

Helplines is unavailable over the weekends, but in the meantime here are some links you may like to follow:

Diet & Arthritis
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/managing-arthritis/diet-and-exercise/diet
    Some general pointers plus cutting down on alcohol will help you lose weight and there is a link to alcohol interactions with medication.

The Demon Drink?
    http://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=46001
    A recent thread on the forums on this very subject.

Do tell us more about what has prompted this as your first post on the forums. Reading around the subject and using the search facility at the top of the page will uncover a wealth of interesting posts.

Best wishes
    Mod B
  • gin
    Ha, yes the irony of my user name - i didn't notice. And yes i should have intro'd myself and didn't - apols i am not used to forums, i haven't posted on one for years and years.
    I have got OA in my foot and knee - with likely progression to hip - and then neck. I am trying to monitor what influences the pain and was slightly dreading a response that was alcohol definitely makes it worse. i did dry January and didn't notice any improvement in pain.
    i was very very active in my youth (gymnastics, athletics) and continued to be into my adulthood. Now the mother of 3 boys i am generally pretty active - although as they get older, the requirement to play football with them seems to be diminishing. I am looking for advice on anything to do with managing the pain really. I've heard about an alkaline diet, or cutting out wheat or taking supps - but only really want to try if it's recommended widely. Thanks for letting me post.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I am not a helpliner, just an ordinary forum user. I have two kinds of arthritis, one of which is OA, and have found that alcohol makes no difference to my pain levels apart from when I have a little too much - then it doesn't seem too bad. :wink:

I know that if I overdo vinegary foods and tomatoes my joints react with more pain, I can only conclude it's something to do with the acid they contain. There's a thread about this on the Living with Arthritis board on here, you may find that useful - I think it was started by LadyBrown. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • gin
    Thanks so much for that, and for the reassurance that alcohol isn't terrible. I think the medical profession generally likes to advise reducing/restricting your alcohol intake - so i didn't want to ask them!
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi Gin,
    Thank you for getting in touch with Helplines.
    I have read your email to Helplines too, now, and will be able to respond in a bit more length about pain management via email.
    In the meantime, I see that the moderator and dreamdaisy have given very helpful information about the relationship between alcohol and arthritis.
    Rachael, Helplines Worker
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    There is more about alcohol and arthritis in the latest copy of Inspire (it also covers the evidence between smoking and RA too).

http://portfolio.cpl.co.uk/inspire/2016-spring/smoking-and-drinking/

all the best

Guy
    Helplines Team