Www.cloudywithachanceofpain.com

Airwave!
Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
edited 23. Feb 2016, 17:44 in Community Chit-chat archive
http://Www.cloudywithachanceofpain.com a reporting system for levels of pain, weather reports get collated and data used for research.

It's a grin, honest! :lol:

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It's being run by a team from Manchester University. I would have been interested years ago but now? I've concluded that, if there's any correlation at all, it/'s due to barometric pressure and / or humidity rather than heat, cold or damp. In any case, I think they're studying the correlation with pain of any sort not just arthritis pain. I could be wrong. Worth a try but not for me - I don't even have a smart phone :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Research must be good for all of us, you never know what will turn up.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    That's true, research is necessary and can sometimes be informative. There was a similar study done in Australia (Sydney I think) and they concluded that there was no correlation but had to acknowledge that they didn't have the variety of weather that the northern hemisphere experiences: how to waste money in the land of academe.

It's a win-win for me all the year round, autumn and winter aggravate the OA, spring and summer the PsA. I is a very lucky girl. :D DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    DD, perhaps we should all become migrants, I fancy Oz, imagine having to drink more beer just to cool down............. :mrgreen:
  • archaeobard
    archaeobard Member Posts: 30
    I've signed up for this as I truly believe there is a link between changes in barometric pressure and joint pain/inflammation. I've started recording my observations today. They do ask you if you believe in links or believe you have experienced links to various atmospherics conditions and pain before you start your recordings. Worth a go anyway. I've found a few academic papers on it in the past, but this study does sound interesting.
    kat
    Pain's just nature's way of saying, 'Hey, you're alive!'

Ares in "Forget Me Not" from Xena: Warrior Princess.
  • Airwave!
    More information is all to the good of us all. I looked at the graph on my phone and was surprised to see a close correlation of the lines.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Thanks for the link Airwave..its will be interesting to see what they come up with,
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I will try to make time for this Airwave thank you :)
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Interesting website, I've seen it before. I get year long pain but in the cold, I do feel a pressure whereas when it's not, I feel more of throb.
  • Airwave!
    I looked at a graph of my inputs so far and saw a correlation already. Lets hope its a useful addition to research.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    For those interested, there's a whole branch of science on how weather impacts on human and plant life – biometeorology.

Sudden changes in barometric pressure seem to cause most problems eg earache when the pilot descends too quickly or BP dropping with low barometric pressure.

The theory with any joint or nerve pain is that it's exacerbated by barometric pressure dropping, which it often does before bad weather sets in. High air pressure pushes somewhat (in microscopic terms) against the body but low air pressure doesn't push so much so, with low pressure, the tissues can expand and put pressure on the joint and / or nerves.

To some extent it might be a case of high pressure making things better rather than low pressure making things worse but the bad news is that, if we were all to emigrate to eg San Diego, which has a very equitable, warm climate, probably little would change as the indications seem to be that people 'acclimatise' to the fewer changes in pressure and feel those lesser ones more acutely.

It's Murphy's Law, folks. We can't win :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    I went walking in the Swiss alps back in June and found a huge difference in the effects of altitude on my RA. I used to wake in the mornings feeling fit for anything.I looked into this on getting home and found that altitude can reduce the symptoms but not the RA itself. Needless to say the symptoms soon returned on returning home. However I enjoyed some wonderful walking and at 81 I could not ask for more.
  • Airwave!
    Perhaps we could borrow one of those barometric chambers the divers use for the Bends treatment? Might get a bit crowded though????