Joint School Programme

prefabkid47
prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
edited 26. Mar 2016, 11:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Went to joint school today,this is part of the 'rapid recovery' programme operated by our local health authority,would be interested to know from forum members if their local health authorities have a similar scheme.There were about 10 of us there (all due for new hips!) along with spouses/carers etc. and the school lasted about 2 hours.
The purpose was to prepare you for your operation and the 12 week period afterwards thereby speeding up recovery.Group presentations were from nursing staff,physiotherapy and occupational therapy (OP) teams.We also had individual sessions with OP team to discuss any relevant issues eg. equipment requirements.
Subjects included such things as anaesthetics,do's and dont's post surgery and exercises (both pre and post surgery).
The school gave a useful insight into the pending operation.

Was also at the same hospital on Monday when mother-in-law (bless all 86 years of her) decided to break her wrist (8 hours A&E!).
Back tomorrow to have back slab removed and re plastered.
''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Comments

• GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi, as you know this is my local hospital and I've heard of the joint school. In fact, my late Father had to attend this before he had his knee replacement.

I understand it's useful to attend this session, and I expect that I'll have to go across to this when my left knee replacement is done.

So you are one step nearer your new hip! Good news.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I've never been offered this, Ron. Mimd yoi, I've had so many new joints I could probably run one. A great idea though. Hope it helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I've not heard of this but what a good idea, it must reduce post-op anxieties etc. because forewarned is forearmed. I hope you found it useful and that your MIL is not doing too badly. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • prefabkid47
    Hi Grace,sticky and DD
    Grace
    Am having my op at the QEQM,still don't know when but will 'phone to see where on list.Assume you will go across the road to have your TKR when the time comes.Hope you are more rested now after recent events,did think about you (weather was at least kind).
    You say you have had so many new joints you could run one.Running was one of the exercises they didn't recommend........... :lol:
    DD
    Not only did it reduce post op anxieties it also briefed us on what our pre and post op inputs should be.It did clarify in my mind the subject of anaesthesia.I was going to go for GA,but their policy is for epidural in conjunction with sedation and the fear of the latter option was largely dispelled.......... :)
    The whole experience was enlightening and highly useful.OH enjoyed herself but was disappointed that you couldn't watch your operation live on a screen (youtube was suggested).
    It was an experience to meet others with varying degrees of suffering but all waiting for THRs............. :(
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Ron
    Yes we have the same its brilliant and puts your mind at rest, they also offer any equipment needed..I didn't go along to this one has I had everything form 2 years ago...my grabber is my best friend I have 4 of them around the house..and always one on the bed..
    Hope your MIL makes a good recovery bless her..
    Love
    Barbara
  • prefabkid47
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hello Ron
    Yes we have the same its brilliant and puts your mind at rest, they also offer any equipment needed..I didn't go along to this one has I had everything form 2 years ago...my grabber is my best friend I have 4 of them around the house..and always one on the bed..
    Hope your MIL makes a good recovery bless her..

Barbara
    We also could buy any equipment needed.Did buy an extra long shoehorn and a grabber.The latter has already been well used.....ideal for reaching the tv remote................ :D
    Might take on board what you said and get another grabber.
    MIL is coping well despite having one arm in plaster.All the years I've known her,never thought I'd ever see her getting plastered.... :shock:
    Ron