MRI result

Options
Megrose2
Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
edited 26. Mar 2016, 06:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all. I received a copy of the letter sent to my GP which gives the results of the MRI I had. It says that I have 'multilevel degenerative disc disease' and 'moderate facet joint osteoarthritis'.

The rheumatologist suggests that if there is no improvement in pain levels after adjustment of painkillers and physiotherapy (I've been discharged from physiotherapy regarding the hip bursitis and haven't been offered any more) then I should be referred to Pain Management.

Is degenerative disc disease simply due to aging? I saw the GP a few weeks ago and agreed to up my Nortriptyline to 50mg. He told me it helped with chronic pain, but it doesn't seem to be doing a great deal so far!

Would appreciate any comments/advice :)

Meg

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I suspect that the 'multilevel degenerative disc disease' might be (in layman's terms) OA affecting your spine but I am not a doc. That would make sense to me because you have OA elsewhere but I could be wrong. Many people grow older without any of these troubles, yes?

Physio has a role to play, as does pain management, but ultimately both address the symptoms rather than the underlying cause. I still do the exercises I was given after my synovectomies (and recently to help lengthen my Achilles tendons) and yes, they help, but not in terms of reducing pain levels. I've not tried Nortryptiline but, as with similar meds, I reckon you would notice the difference if you stopped taking it.

It's a tough life but someone has to live it. :| 'Snot fair, Megrose, is it? :( DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Sorry, can't help, megrose. I'm with DD though I think it's supposed to be connected with age. I fully expect to add it to my list, in time as I already have osteoporosis so I'm just postponing it as much aa possible by exercise.

I don't believe in taking pain meds that don't work but, again, as DD says, we often don't know what they're doing until we stop them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Is norttrip like amitrip though? More of a muscle relaxant effect than a painkiller as such????

I tend to think you are right about what you think degenerative disc disease means. Thing is not everyone has pain - you do. :(

In your shoes I would be pushing for the pain clinic referral.

Love

Toni xxx
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. Yes, Toni, Nortriptyline is a sister drug to Amitriptyline and it is a muscle relaxant. However, the GP did say that it was used for chronic pain. Since I've also been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia I do think that this is used as a catch-all for any pain. When I saw him about mid-foot arthritis - I limp and have a lump on the top of my foot - his first question was 'Are you sure it isn't your fibro?'.

Anyway, I think I'll see how I go. I've got a few appointments coming up after Easter: the orthopaedic consultant for my achilles tendon, the hand surgeon re my OA thumbs and the urologist for those benign tumours on my kidney. If I continue to find things difficult, then I'll take your advice, Toni, and ask about a referral to the pain management clinic.

Thanks again.

Meg
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Meg

It sounds as though you have a plan of action in mind :)

I have definitely heard of folks being given the 'fibro' explanation for everything once they have the diagnosis. Very frustrating :(

Take care now

Toni xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Meg this is similar to my back..I have been offered a decompression, but still thinking about it..the only thing that helps me are the pregabalin..I hope you can get some help with it..x
    Love
    Barbara