Hi, I'm new!

Ang
Ang Member Posts: 3
edited 22. May 2016, 07:37 in Say Hello Archive
Hi,

I'm Angela and I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis after a couple of year of being passed about and being told I have restless legs and it's all in my head along the way!! This was despite so many obvious symptoms but thankfully a referral elsewhere for a second opinion meant a bone scan and a diagnosis was done very quickly.

After an awful time with Sulfasalazine I'm now on Methotrexate and so far so good!

Life seems to be an endless round of appointments at the moment, Physio, Rheumy nurse, OT, phlebotomy with a referral to Podiatrist to add to my list!

My rheumy nurse recommended I join a few sites, this being one and so here I am!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Ang,

Welcome to the forum. Please thank your nurse too - they are a mine of information as well as being easier than your consultant to answer queries, sounds like you have a good one!

Here on the forum you will find lots of friends who have arthritis and a few who care for someone with arthritis in one or more incarnations! Have a look at the various boards and join in when you find one you are interested in. Start a new thread in the Living with Arthritis board if you have any queries in that regard.

This whole website is great, it's had a makeover so it's easier to find leaflets, information about groups or courses near you etc.

Looking forward to seeing your posts

Mod Yvonne x - here to help with any forum issues
  • Ang
    Ang Member Posts: 3
    Hi Yvonne, thanks for the welcome :)

My nurse is fantastic, I've seen a couple of others when she can't fit me in and they've been just as lovely.

I'll have a wander around the boards now x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I too have PsA and have been on sulph for fourteen years. I am fortunate in that I don't have too many troubles with side-effects (I take daily sulph, weekly injected meth and fortnightly injected humira) and these are controlling the PsA very well: I have very little trouble with my skin which is another blessing.

I began back in 1997 but not in the traditional way so it took some time before anyone realised what was going on with me. I now have OA and fibro to contend with as well which is added 'fun'. I remember all too well the apparently never-ending round of appointments and blood tests, they can all be just as tiring as dealing with the disease itself!

I hope you find the forum to be of interest, it does help being able to talk to the initiated because, although our various conditions affect us in different ways, we are all familiar with the challenges, exasperations and frustrations our health brings. I wish you well and hope to see your name here and there around the boards. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Ang and welcome from me too :)

I think we all go through periods when our lives seem dominated by medical appointments (Mine's a bit similar right now) but, hey, better that than none and fending for ourselves.

I'm glad you've found what seems to be the right med for you. I have RA. I've never tried sulph but I, too, take meth and hydroxy. Successfully :D

Well done, that nurse! We have one or two nurses on here but not, as far as I can recall, a rheumatology nurse. I've only rarely seen mine but always been impressed when I've had to.

I hope all the appointments result in good things.

See you around :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hello Ang, and welcome. I have RA, but I seemed to ' Buck the trend ' and was actually referred and diagnosed quite quickly. Sulphasalazine was the first drug I was given, but nowadays I'm on humira & hydroxychloroquine, having tried & failed on various other meds.

You do eventually get used to all the various appointments, blood tests etc. I suppose we wouldn't manage very well without them.

I'm lucky enough to have a good rheumy team - half the battle I always think.

I hope you find the forum useful - the members here have helped me on many occasions.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Ang and a warm welcome from me..hope you find the forum very useful has well as making new friends.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • Anny
    Anny Member Posts: 13
    Welcome Ang. New here myself too. You will get a lot of support here. I may have to increase appts too at the moment. Not relishing the thought but like sticky says, how would we manage otherwise.

X

• bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Welcome to the forum Ang.
    What a good nurse to recommend the forum ( I was a nurse, so I am slightly biased) :lol: Good to meet you.
    Not a pleasant diagnosis, but, better to know, than keep pushing for answers and getting nowhere. The Methotrxate seems to be helping, which is a plus.

Appointments here, there and everywhere do seem to come in waves, when you are never out of the Drs, the hospital, etc. bloods, feet, the list goes on.

The forum is "open all hours", we have a lovely cafe, called Val's Cafe, with everything calorie free and great nattering about what we have all been up to.

Hope to see you around the forum, take care XXX Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • Jen
    Jen Member Posts: 155
    Welcome Angela and all the new people :)
    flower2520paars.gif~c200