General help

Options
mykxmn
mykxmn Member Posts: 2
edited 19. May 2016, 13:34 in Say Hello Archive
Hi I'm new to this forum . What started me into this was reading an article today that was encouraging people to go to the Doctors early when experiencing symptoms of arthritis . I have arthritis in my hands and some toes , I have it in my neck and lower spine and upto now have had four opps for various lower spine probs . However on the general front of arthritis in fingers and toes I must say my Doctor is so supportive and helpful , NOT. The response from my Doc is , what did you expect you're getting older , you just have to accept it ,get on with it .

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello mykxmn and welcome from me too.

I'm sorry you find your GP unsupportive. I guess, with your OA elsewhere, you are already taking anti-inflammatories and / or pain relief.

You could also try physio exercises (Some are given in the Arthritis Care section on 'Managing Arthritis'). Other things mentioned there are (I think!) applying heat or cold and acupuncture. Mostly it's a matter of self-management until or unless surgery becomes necessary.

Do you have any gadgets to help? The disability shops are full of them these days and some are really useful.

Then, of course, there's the pain. GPs don't have a great deal of time for just listening which is where sites like this one come into their own as we all understand it and can empathise.

I hope you'll find us useful. Please join in anywhere.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I think it is one of the 'dangers' of OA simply because it is so common, some GPs think it is the inevitable consequence of life (until they get it :wink: ) and, truth be told, there isn't a great deal they can do but that doesn't excuse the negative 'put up with it' approach as shown by some.

I'm one of the lucky ones who has done the double, I have an auto-immune kind and the joint damage from that has led to OA in some useful joints. My rheumatologist ignores my OA and my GP the other but both do what they can to help. For the OA it's a matter of gentle exercise and pain relief and the meds for the other don't affect it, which is not surprising. There are things we can do for ourselves to help to ease the worst of the symptoms but some things are beyond our control such as the weather which is very frustrating!

I hope you find the forum to be of interest and I look forward to seeing your name here and there around the boards. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben