First post

Grumpygran101
Grumpygran101 Member Posts: 3
edited 2. Jun 2016, 06:12 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all. I'm a 57yr old granny who has just been told by her GP yet again that it's "all in your head". Blood tests came back clear so he decided I don't have any form of arthritis other than "normal wear and tear for my age" :(
This is despite diagnosing me with Sjogrens a couple of years ago, seeing my hands look like I'm wearing boxing gloves..I keep dropping cups, pans, can't open screw lids, peel off lids etc and have lots of pain in hands, elbows, shoulders and neck. He did prescribe Tramacet though..not what I wanted at all tbh. Not been able to kneel down for almost 20 years due to extreme pain in swollen knees
I have asthma, psoriasis and an allergy/sensitivity to NSAIDS (including damn Voltarol cream which he gave me 2 weeks ago to try but I might as well have swallowed it, same effect!) so am now sitting here, on a beautiful sunny day, in floods of tears as I've just dropped the dinner all over the floor yet again. I need help very badly but don't know where to get it.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello grumpygran

Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

All best wishes
    Mod Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Grumpygran, it eeems to me you have very good reason to be grumpy.

I think, and I suspect you do too, that you might have one of the sero-negative types of inflammatory arthritis ie one in which the usual blood tests give a negative result.

You have a right to ask to see a rheumatologist and, if your GP is unhelpful, either see a different one in the practice or change practices.

I'm sorry, I'm having a long weekend away right now so haven't time to write much more but please don't just let one unsympathetic GP determine your future. Many of them seem blissfully unaware of sero-neg forms of arthritis.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Grumpygran and a warm welcome form me
    I am older at 66..but have been through the same has you..I have not had both hips replaced..but have some many other symptoms..and my bloods come back negative...the last rheumy said I was sero negative..then they change there minds..so you push to be referred to someone that can help..GPs are not always very helpful when it come to arthritis..good luck
    Love
    Barbara
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Hi Grumpygran and welcome. I agree with Sticky and Barbara that it would be good idea to perhaps see a different GP, but in any case, definitely ask to be referred to a rheumatologist.

I hope that things soon improve for you. Do let us know how you get on. Take care.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I apologise for not replying before now, events over the Bank Holiday weekend meant I wasn't about.

I too have asthma, eczema and hayfever but limited psoriasis. After some years of struggle it turned out that I have psoriatic arthritis (without too much of the P) which is one of the sero-negative forms of auto-immune arthritis, hence the delay in diagnosis. GPs know a little about a lot because they have to cover a great deal but I think you have good grounds to demand a rheumatology referral: Sjogren's is an auto-immune condition so, given the rest of your history, to me it's a no-brainer. You should see a rheumatologist and I hope this happens sooner rather than later.

I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Grumpygran101
    Grumpygran101 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you all, sorry for the slow reply but I had to wait until my swollen hands went down a bit..it's hard to type with boxing gloves on! I don't feel like such a freak/hypochondriac now, knowing others have had the same trouble.
    I had already tried the other GP in the practise but she's worse than useless, gave me paracetamol and said it would get better...

My youngest daughter was here today for a visit, she's a nursing assistant and quite often cares for people with arthritis. She took one look and said she's almost sure I have psoriatic (sp?) arthritis so we booked yet another appointment with my GP, in 3 weeks time. Hopefully he will listen this time, if not, am trying to find out who the rheumatologists in my area are and see if I can get a private appointment with one.
    Can't thank you all enough, it really has made such a difference to me just knowing I'm not alone. :D