Hello, newly diagnosed with rheumatoid

Options
Katycobz
Katycobz Member Posts: 13
edited 7. Jun 2016, 04:10 in Say Hello Archive
Hello, I'm 23 and was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis nearly a year ago. It started in my knees and has recently been effecting my elbows and wrists.
Just on here to find out about different ways and medications that have helped and also to find out that everything I am experiencing is normal!
Thanks in advance

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Katycobz from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Mod John
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hello katycobz and welcome from me, too. I also have RA and have had it for many years. Mine started in my fingers.

What medication are you on? I take methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine?

What things are you worried might not be normal? Have you had a look at our 'What is arthritis?' section above? I hope you'll find us useful. Maybe a little more imfo would help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Katycobz
    Options
    Hey thanks for replying stickywicket :)
    I guess I'm on here to moan a bit as well and talking to people who are going through ot have been through similar things is always comforting!
    I'm currently on sulfasalazine and steroids, which seem to be helping, obviously there are still bad and good days and I'm not enjoying the side effects of the steroids but I will be off them soon enough :)
    I think my main annoyance at the moment is bruises, literally on my legs I have, on average, about 10 bruises at a time. They maybe causes by minor knocks but look like I have been beaten up! Haha. I have read a bit about side effects of the medication and arthritis its self but I haven't came across bruising being known as a issue.
    It seems that I have also developed carpal tunnel syndrome in my wrists as well but I'm assuming it is linked quite closely as it is also to do with the joints in the wrists becoming inflamed.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    We all need a moan from time to time and far better to come here and talk to those who understand than to inflict it on our nearest and dearest.

I'm guessing you were put on steroids until the sulph kicked in and you're now decreasing them, right? That's a very normal procedure. The bruising can be caused by either and, if you haven't already done so, I'd ring your rheumatology helpline to let them know. They'll probably just monitor it, especially if they feel it's due to the sulph, but it would be wise to tell them.

Carpal tunnel syndrome might be related to your arthritis or might not. Lots of people, who don't have arthritis, get it. If it get too much of a hassle there's an op. 'Megrose', on the Living With Arthritis forum, is going to have the op soon and has a thread about it on there.
    Steven Wright
  • Katycobz
    Options
    Than you :) this is all so helpful already!
    I had an appointment a few weeks ago with the rheumatologist and mentioned the bruising, but he just shrugged it off and didn't even ask to see it. So I'm guessing it's not anything to worry about, I just hate it, especially seen as summer is basically here!! Bruised legs isn't the look I wanted to go for :L
    Yah I am cutting down the steroids and will be off them by next week :) thank god!!
    Ooo I will have a look at the other thread! I'm just getting used to how this all works :)
  • stickywicket
    Options
    If the rheumatologist is happy about the bruising, that's OK though, if it gets worse, take photos for your next appointment. I've never taken sulph but I believe bruising is fairly normal at first and it might well die down.

As for the summer - here comes the damp squib :roll: - beware of the sun. Most DMARDS make us photosensitive to some extent. Although the Vit D is good, we have to be careful so slap on a Factor 50 or whatever and aim for the shade.
    Steven Wright
  • Katycobz
    Options
    Ooo I haven't ever heard about the Suns negatives, I've been told how amazing it is. I guess I have some more reading to do and I will definitely be more careful! Thanks for the advice :)
  • chappers
    chappers Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello, just thought I would say hi as I'm 23 too and although I haven't been diagnosed yet we're pretty sure I have Osteoarthritis as my body scan showed a loooot of degeneration in my joints and bones :( I've only just turned 23 and feel pretty down about the idea of spending my life in pain! So it's kind of comforting (in a bad kind of way too) to know I'm not the only one to have been dealt this hand so young.

If you want to talk at all or anything then I'm here.
    Laura X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums chappers from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes
    Mod Christine
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Hello from me, to, chappers.

You are very young to have OA (RA can strike at any age) so no wonder you're feeling so down.

Who diagnosed you? And what, if any, medication are you taking?

We have some young people on here and I hope they'll be in touch (I'm not one of them :lol: ) but, in any case, we're all her to offer support and empathy.
    Steven Wright
  • Katycobz
    Options
    chappers wrote:
    it's kind of comforting (in a bad kind of way too) to know I'm not the only one to have been dealt this hand so young.

I completely agree! I've just been trying to find ways in which to help myself! I'm still living at home, so I have a lot of help from my parents, but I feel like I need to be able to deal with this and figure out my limits etc. Before I move out :S.

It is a hard thing to get 'used to' or 'accept' and I guess it's normal to have good and bad days, but it is getting better :) and also everyone on here is lovely:D
  • chappers
    chappers Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello from me, to, chappers.

You are very young to have OA (RA can strike at any age) so no wonder you're feeling so down.

Who diagnosed you? And what, if any, medication are you taking?

We have some young people on here and I hope they'll be in touch (I'm not one of them :lol: ) but, in any case, we're all her to offer support and empathy.

I haven't been diagnosed yet but we know it's some form of arthritis and the fact that it's degeneration all over my bodies just seems to fit OA? I'm not on any medication at the moment, I'm fed up with my rheumatologist he hasn't helped at all, I'm in such pain every day and need to figure out a plan for my pain.

Thanks for the reply!! X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • stickywicket
    Options
    If you're seeing a rheumatologist and it's all over your body it's much more likely to be an inflammatory kind of arthritis such as RA but they can be very difficult to diagnose sometimes. Why has your rheumatologist not offered any meds?
    Steven Wright