Question regarding diagnosis

Tartanscope
Tartanscope Member Posts: 7
Hi there, I was hoping I could get some advice/help on a recent diagnosis.

I have had fibromyalgia for over 10 years now but recently been having quite a bit of joint pain and swelling, particularly in my hands and ankles which is really bad on waking and can last a couple of hours but sometimes throughout the day. I have trigger finger on two of my fingers on both hands.

I had blood tests which were completely normal and was then sent for hand x-Ray's which again were completely normal. The gp advised that I increased the pregabalin but didn't think it would make much difference. (There is a family history on both sides of rheumatoid arthritis.)

What I would like to know is whether I should just accept this diagnosis or should I go back and ask to see a rheumatologist. I have read the blood test and hand x-ray can be inconclusive.

I am not convinced at this diagnosis. As I have had fibromyalgia for so long I know the pains I get from that, and the pain in my hands and feet is different.

Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Tartanscope

Welcome to the forums where I'm sure you will get a lot of help and good advice from all the lovely people on here.

We are here if you need any support to do with using the forums. Many of the mods have some of the many varieties of arthritis and we all know about the feelings that go along with having it.

Do read and post across the different topics that you will find here.
    All best wishes

Mod Bryn
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Tartanscope. I should begin by saying I'm not a member of the Helpline team just an ordinary forum member with RA and no medical qualifications :)

However, like you, I've read up a bit on these things and see what others write on the forum. For my money you should definitely ask to see a rheumatologist and see a different GP if your own is reluctant. This is what Arthritis Research UK say about sero-negative forms of autoimmune arthritis. http://tinyurl.com/knh929m . Unfortunately some GPs do seem to believe that a negative blood test means it's not a job for a rheumatologist. Many on here will beg to differ. Good luck and please let's know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Tartanscope
    Thanks for your reply and I read the link with interest. My gut instinct is to ask to see a rheumatologist. I just wasn't sure about the fact that the x-Ray was also normal. I have already asked to be referred, this was before the x-Ray and blood tests so now feel the gp feels she has had a satisfactory outcome in her part. Not much use to me though as I am the one dealing with the pain.

My previous gp, whom I had a good relationship with just retired and unfortunately I am not taking to this one. I am part of a very small rural practice with only one full time and one part time gp.

Thanks again for your help.
  • stickywicket
    Hm yes. I shall probably soon be moving to one such practice and I'm beginning to realise how 'spoilt' I've been throughout my arthritic life. You can, of course, change practices very easily if that is an option for you. I believe you just go to the new one and ask to join and they do the paperwork.

Again, I'm speaking from a position of ignorance but I don't think x-rays tell the full story. I believe they're more reliable with joints damaged by OA.

To be honest, given your symptoms and family history, I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask to see a rheumatologist. Maybe print off the reference from ARUK as back-up just in case it's needed. I hope it isn't :roll:
    Steven Wright
  • Tartanscope
    Hi there

Thanks for that. I live in quite a remote area so changing practices would be a bit difficult for me.

I will make another appointment and ask for a referral and see what the GP says to that and yes, I will use the reference if required.

I will let you know how it goes!
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi Tartanscope

Many thanks for your post.

I’m sorry to hear about the joint pain and swelling you are experiencing, it sounds as if you have a fair bit to contend with. I have read stickywickets response, in which he gives you a link to Arthritis Research UK information on sero negative inflammatory arthritis which could be helpful for you.

It seems as if you are left feeling unsure about the diagnosis, which is understandable. I too feel it may be helpful to see a rheumatologist who can investigate further.
    You might like to take a look at our information on getting a diagnosis: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/managing-arthritis/medical

You might also like to post on our Living with arthritis forum, here you will have more responses to your post from the forum members.
    http://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=8

If at any point you would like to talk to us on our Freephone Helpline: 0808 800 4050 (weekdays 10-4) you are very welcome to give us a ring. If you prefer you can email on helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk

I hope this is of some help.

Best wishes
    Lynda
  • stickywicket
    I have read stickywickets response, in which he gives you a link

:o He? When was I transgendered :shock: and why did no-one inform me? Mr SW will be very upset :wink::lol:
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    :o He? When was I transgendered :shock: and why did no-one inform me? Mr SW will be very upset :wink::lol:
    Your move to Scotland is evidently going to be a life change in more ways than one Sticky!
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    An Xray report on one of my hands mentioned inflammatory arthropathy as a query cause of the joint changes, and so I had an ultrasound scan to check further(which came back negative). The radiologist explained that the kind of image from the ultrasound(in effect 3D) will show up changes and features which are either not clear or are absent from the Xray image.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi stickywicket

I'm so sorry for referring to you as a ‘he’ !!!! I shall make sure it doesn’t happen again, and thank you so much for your very helpful responses to the forum posts.

Best wishes
    Lynda
  • stickywicket
    Hey, no problem, Lynda :D

daffy - you're so right :D
    Steven Wright