Help with diagnosis

Options
Tartanscope
Tartanscope Member Posts: 7
edited 14. Jun 2016, 11:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there, I was hoping I could get some advice/help on a recent diagnosis.

I have had fibromyalgia for over 10 years now but recently been having quite a bit of joint pain and swelling, particularly in my hands and ankles which is really bad on waking and can last a couple of hours but sometimes throughout the day. I have trigger finger on two of my fingers on both hands.

I had blood tests which were completely normal and was then sent for hand x-Ray's which again were completely normal. The gp advised that I increased the pregabalin but didn't think it would make much difference. (There is a family history on both sides of rheumatoid arthritis.)

What I would like to know is whether I should just accept this diagnosis or should I go back and ask to see a rheumatologist. I have read the blood test and hand x-ray can be inconclusive.

I am not convinced at this diagnosis. As I have had fibromyalgia for so long I know the pains I get from that, and the pain in my hands and feet is different.

Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated!

Comments

• Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Tartanscope,

I have osteoarthritis, so don't know a lot about rheumatoid arthritis, but, with your symptoms and family history, I would definitely suggest that you go back to your GP and ask to see a rheumatologist.

I also have fibromyalgia and I do think, rightly or wrongly, that, once you have a fibromyalgia diagnosis, some GPs will suggest this is also the reason for any other problems. And, I agree, the pain from the fibromyalgia and from that from arthritis is different.

So, yes,I would suggest you go back and ask to be referred.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. This forum is full of lovely, very knowledgable people who will be helpful and very supportive.

Meg
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    When I first started with my pain and discomfort I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. As time went on I was getting pain in joints and my legs would give way. I changed my G.P and the first thing she did was sent me for a bone density scan. I know what she did was extreme but I'm glad she did as the results where shocking! But that was me. I was also sent to see a Rheumatologist and that was a good things as well. Sure ask your G.P for a referral to a Rheumatologist and see what that shows. Fibromyalgia is a horrible illness and the pain from that is different to Arthritic pain I agree I still get pain from it.
  • Tartanscope
    Tartanscope Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi there and thanks for the replies.

Can I ask Bubbadog, how long had you the Fibromyalgia before being sent for a bone density scan? I am just curious as I was complaining of pain in my feet and hands a couple of years before the fibromyalgia diagnosis but it wasn't as severe as it is now.

I am glad to hear (if you know what I mean) that other people are agreeing with me about the difference in pain.

I am planning to go back soon to the GP and will go armed with information gained and also reiterate the difference in the pains.

I will let you know how I get on!! :P
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the forum
    No you dont have to accept the diagnosis , bloods can come back clear but that doesn't mean you just have OA, fibro or whatever I have spent quite a few tears going back and forwards with the rheumy saying different things..has you will find out arthritis is very couples and there are over 100 types...I hope you get some answers very soon..
    Love
    Barbara