New Cervical Disc - Oh Dear!

rayray
rayray Member Posts: 115
edited 22. Jun 2016, 10:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Having been in severe pain for the last two and a bit weeks I saw my spinal surgeon today. Unfortunately an x-ray has revealed that the artificial disc seems to have failed. I can't quite believe it but at least it is an answer to all this pain. It seems to be so out of place my surgeon thought that I had had a nasty fall. I thought my future was going to be completely blighted and have wondered how I am going to manage.

Anyway I am having a CT scan this week and am back in a collar. I now await the outcome to find out what happens next. I am now taking it very easy.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm sorry to hear that, rayray. It must be both disappointing and worrying. 'Easy' is definitely the way to go. I hope the scan reveals something easily sorted. Please keep us in the loop.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • rayray
    Thanks Sticky. Life is never straightforward is it?
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi Rayray,
    sorry to hear about the problem with your new disc. Do they know what has gone wrong or caused it to fail?
    I am waiting to have a discogram to see if I am a candidate for a new lumbar disc (or fusion), so I have been very interested in your posts.
    I hope that you get some answers soon, and that you are out of the pain soon too.
    NB
  • rayray
    Hi NB,

I have no idea what has caused the disc to fail. My surgeon was absolutely devastated by it and was very shocked. She thought I must have had a major fall or accident. The CT scan should tell her more i.e. is it disc failure or bone failure. I will post when I know more.
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I'm so disappointed for you Rayray. I've recently been told my cervical spine is now affected by OA at C4, C5 & C6 (and I have a partly prolapsed disc, nerve compression and spinal cord narrowing between C5-C6 as a bonus!). As a result, I've been following your posts with interest.

I hope you get some answers soon and this can be resolved for you. And yes, please do update us.

In the meantime take care of yourself and try not to get too downhearted.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • rayray
    Thank you for all your kind responses. One thing I want to say is that what has happened to me is as rare as 'hens teeth'. Please, if you are looking at a replacement disc rather than a fusion my experience is very rare indeed. It shouldn't have happened and I am certain that for the next one hundred plus patients it wouldn't.

I have kind of been here before as I had a major failure after an open hip dislocation and debridement and had three further surgeries to fix it. I do scar terribly and my body seems to go into overdrive trying to heal itself with significant swelling beyond the norm. My surgeon told me yesterday that my wound is way more swollen than it should be despite my twice daily moisturising and massaging.

So what I am saying is that don't read my one story of a bad experience and let it put you off if this treatment is suggested to you. Talk to your surgeon about the risks and make the right decision for you.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello rayray, I am sorry to read this..and really do hope that whatever they can do will bring you relief..its must be scary ..but we are all here to support you..good luck..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Hi, I can identify with the scarring issue as I make too much scar tissue. I was told after my knee replacement in 2009 that my scar was "hypertrophic". (Similar to keloid scarring that some ethnic minority people have). As a result, I have a whacking great scar over my knee. I've already decided that when I need to have my other knee replaced, I'll be asking for stitches and not staples as I'm sure that's why my scar is so wide (I had 29 staples in there - I know as I counted each one as they came out and they all flaming well hurt!).

I agree totally with your comment about each person making their own minds up about surgery.

I'm sure you've tried this already but I've used Bio Oil in the past on my scars. Also a gel-type pressure product but I can't remember the name - sorry. :oops: I know it was reusable, I had to wash it in clear running water and it had to be damp when I put it on. That put pressure on the raised parts of my scar, pushed it down and improved it no end. The product cost a fair bit though.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!