Result of visit to respiratory clinic

mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 9. Jul 2016, 10:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Only just been able to get online internet playing up.
Saw a very nice doctor who had taken the trouble to go through my records and after we had a very in depth talk and exam he thinks almost certainly that it's the RA that's affecting my lungs,he is arranging a lung function test and a ct scan and will decide what to do from the results ,he is also going to consult with my rheumy and keep my GP in the loop as well.They have a clinic which is for RA and lung problems combined .I asked what to do about the inhaler and he said with the condition he suspects it not likely to be of any help so don't use it.The appointments should be through in a couple of weeks. Mig

Comments

• applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Seems you had a good appointment with everything gone through and talked about. I hope the appointments come soon and you get things sorted quickly.
    Christine
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    That sounds quite positive, Mig. I hope you don't have to wait too long for your appointments.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    That sounds like an excellent appointment, mig. A special clinic for RAers with lung problems? Terrific. I hope it's really useful.

I don't quite get the inhaler thing though as I thought it did help when you were at the other clinic.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    It did Sticky but he asked if it helped and I said I think so but I'm still getting used to it so that's when he said leave it then,I think if I feel breathless I might give it a go and see what happens and keep a record.At the moment it's the phlem that's causing the problems as I can't seem to cough strong enough to clear it.As someone on here said RA the gift that keeps on giving.! Mig
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Glad to hear that you had a fairly detailed appointment, good to keep everyone updated and informed. Progressing forward to further tests and a scan, to find out how things are working.
    It is difficult with inhalers, some don't help, even if you are breathless. Salbutamol is the main reliever of symptoms if you have asthma, then there are the steroid ones and others that work in a different way, like Tiotropium.
    He might wait until the next tests are through and decide on a new inhalers.
    If you do feel breathless and it helps, then use it.

I had to stop mine, salbutamol, consultant said no good for COPD and not good for my heart either :?

It might be worth asking the pharmacist if there is something to help clear the phlegm, some simple cough medicines help, but I would check with them first, with regard any interactions.

Take care XXX Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I honestly don't know what to say because this is so different to my experience of misbehaving lungs (which happened aged 7, then inhalers aged around 11 when they first appeared ) and arthritis (aged 37) but I agree that the appointment was thorough; I think it good that everyone you need to be 'looped' will be (ensure they are, my lovely :wink: ) and I hope things improve. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    The main thing is Mig that you have a good team looking after you, I hope the appointment comes through soon then they can monitor you. and hopefully give you something to help that cough..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    Sorry not been around much we have had internet problems and I have been a right grump,so anyway the appointment letters have arrived I have an app for chest ct on the 19th July and then I have apps for breathing test and excersise test that follow each other on the same day in august its round about the 15th.I had hope to have things sorted before we went on holiday which is 31 july.
    Take care all. Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Dear 'Right Grump',

You are allowed on here whether Grumpy or not. You may also be Bashful, Dopey, Happy, Sleepy or Sneezy (Please use antibac wipes) but especially welcome if you are Doc.

We all want swift appointments but, the way things are going, they are getting more and more distant. Can you try for cancellations? If not, try to forget about things as much as 'things' will allow and enjoy the holiday. That's an order.

I am available for pocket duties.

Best regards,

Left Grump :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh Mig no wonder you are grumpy, .I just hope that all will be sorted for your holiday..these appointments come thick and fast sometimes..wishing you well with them all...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Sorry you've been feeling so grumpy. I'm not surprised. I hope your appointments go well but please don't let things spoil your holiday.
    Christine