RA Confirmed

ColinJ
ColinJ Member Posts: 46
edited 27. Jun 2016, 07:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just an update,seen the rhumy today and she confirmed I had the early stages of RA,she has put me on Hydroxychloroquine one 200mg tablet twice a day with another appointment in three months, a little worried about the tablets as it says on the leaflet that comes with the tablets about taking antidiabetic medications with these tablets.

Colin

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thanks for the update, Colin, and I'm glad you have a diagnosis. No-one wants RA but, if you have it, it's better to know and to be on the meds.

I presume you have diabetes. (Sorry, you might have mentioned it before.) I had to fish out my hydroxy leaflet and you're quite right it does mention 'medicines for diabetes' among meds that can change the way hydroxy works or vice versa and you're right to be cautious. It could have slipped your rheumatologist's memory when prescribing them though I think a more likely scenario is that the interaction risk is very mild and/or unlikely.

A quick way to sort this out would be to ring your local pharmacist for advice. They are very good at chemistry :D and usually very pleased to help. If (s)he thinks there's a problem you'll be told to get back to your rheumatologist.

Please let's know the outcome as this could be useful for others. I've not heard anyone mention it before.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Colin thanks for the update I was wondering how you had got on, I dont have any advice ..but at least you now know what you are up against and the treatment can begin..I hope it makes a big difference to you..
    Love
    Barbara
  • ColinJ
    It's funny really, I last saw my rheumy on May 10th and I told I was going on holiday on May 24th for a week,so to be on the safe side she gave me a steroid jab and told me to take my Naproxan with me, after about 3days I felt great no problems with any pain, she told the jab would last about 6 weeks, but I have now gone past the 6weeks period, but I can make a fist with slight stiffness,I have not had any ankle or feet swelling since I had the jab, getting up in a morning is no problem,they are both the main problems I had with RA,also with these Hydroxy tablets the big risk is with ones eyes which worries me.

Colin
  • ColinJ
    Thanks for the update, Colin, and I'm glad you have a diagnosis. No-one wants RA but, if you have it, it's better to know and to be on the meds.

I presume you have diabetes. (Sorry, you might have mentioned it before.) I had to fish out my hydroxy leaflet and you're quite right it does mention 'medicines for diabetes' among meds that can change the way hydroxy works or vice versa and you're right to be cautious. It could have slipped your rheumatologist's memory when prescribing them though I think a more likely scenario is that the interaction risk is very mild and/or unlikely.

A quick way to sort this out would be to ring your local pharmacist for advice. They are very good at chemistry :D and usually very pleased to help. If (s)he thinks there's a problem you'll be told to get back to your rheumatologist.

Please let's know the outcome as this could be useful for others. I've not heard anyone mention it before.

SW. Is Hydroxy a very successful medication with RA

Colin
  • stickywicket
    I think you just got lucky with the steroids. They do vary in how long they last.

As for hydroxy - it's one of the milder DMARDS. I take it along with methotrexate and the combination works very well for me.
    Steven Wright
  • ColinJ
    SW. Thanks for reply,is there any restrictions with methotrexate,as I do love a couple of glasses of Red wine at night.

Colin
  • stickywicket
    Have you been offered methotrexate? Yes, there are restrictions on alcohol. As both methotrexate and alcohol can affect the liver we are normally asked to keep right away from alcohol for about the first three months. After that, if our regular blood tests (which are very important) show that our livers are coping well with the new med, we can resume in moderation. That's probably NOT a couple of glasses per night. I like a glass with my evening meal and, if we have guests, I'll have a couple but I've been on meth for about 16 years, I don't drink on my meth day and I thank my lucky stars that I had a very good liver to start with as my liver function tests have always been very good.
    Steven Wright
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    I am on 10mg and the consultant put me on a limit of 10 units of alcohol/week. It keeps my mental processes going working out the alcohol content of a wine and the volume of the glass I am using. In order to stay within limits I only drink at home where I know the wine and the glass size. I never drink on methotrexate day. Over time you will learn by heart wine strength and volume limit. I have got used to it now but still find planning for festive periods tricky.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I had to be alcohol free for the first three months on tablet meth, my bloods were taken fortnightly so that my liver function could be properly assessed. I didn't make it to the end of three months as my skin reacted with the tablets and I came off it - just in time for a local beer festival :D I don't think rheumatology had ever heard a 'Woo-hoo!' quite as loud as mine :wink:

I now take injected meth and have no trouble with wine, I think my liver is the only bit of me that works as it should. Everyone varies in how they respond to the challenges of the medication and alcohol, and the thinking has changed about banning alcohol altogether when on meth. The doses we take are very small compared to its use in other conditions but it may still be best for you to go 'dry' for a period of time so that your bloods show accurate results.

I have not taken hydroxy, my first med was sulphasalazine which is a stronger DMARD. I wish you well and hope the meds make a positive difference for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben