copied painting for sale.

tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 14. Jul 2016, 07:09 in Community Chit-chat archive
Somebody posted some watercolour artwork on facebook and I immediately recognised it as a copy. It is a lovely painting and used in an exam but got a B (which has upset people) but its likely the examiner recognised it too.There's even a how to paint this very same picture on You tube.

About 800 posters have admired it and many wanted prints and the poster is eager to sort this out.

The artist is meant to be 14 years of age. So I really do not want to be the bearer of bad news and upset her but really feel that making prints for sale would be unfair on the original artist. I do not object to her selling her painting as long as she says its a copy but prints would possibly be illegal?

So would you say something on facebook or leave it be?

Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    making prints for sale would be unfair on the original artist. I do not object to her selling her painting as long as she says its a copy but prints would possibly be illegal?
    Unless the image has been made available as copyright free by the original artist or permission has been sought(both of which are possible),then using it for commercial purposes would be illegal. Using it in an exam seems questionable to say the least, but that's a matter for the exam board and moderators to deal with.
    Whether to say anything on Facebook is down to individual conscience, but if you don't I'm sure others will, so in terms of alerting the youngster concerned to potential problems that will be covered.
  • tkachev
    There are now 1500 posts and nobody has noticed the likeness apart from one person who sent a photo of a cushion cover with a very similar design.

I've now posted that they shouldn't do prints as its very similar to another artists design and I've given her name but I've not posted the original painting as I don't want to embarress the 14 year old. I'm hoping they will quietly drop the thread.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    This reminded me of a letter asking for help I saw on the Guardian website at the weekend. It was from a Law student who had bought an essay on-line wasn't happy with it and had been unable to get a refund. They were writing for advice on how to reclaim the money! Suffice to say the words plagiarism, ethics and morals were included in the reply.

It's not the one claiming to be by a 14 year old with dyslexia is it? If so it's not hard to guess the artist of the original.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Fully paid up cynic that I am, it wouldn't worry me at all were I to 'discourage' a purported '14yr old' from fraud, breach of copyright, plagiarism etc. The sooner they learn the better.

My Grandad was brilliant at copying pictures (My Mum owned an excellent copy he had made of a photo of my brother and sister) but, as far as I know, he never produced an original. I'm sure if he had been less honest he could have made a very good living at forgery rather than bringing up 9 children in a small terraced house with an outside toilet.

Slosh – a Law student :shock: Methinks he has a lot to learn about the law.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    a Law student :shock: Methinks he has a lot to learn about the law.
    Or not, judging by what our politicians are so blatantly getting up to these days...
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Gosh Elizabeth!

Thing is, as a Mum, you don't want to upset a child do you?

I'm sure it's illegal and hope the thread/post disappears ASAP.

((())) Toni xxx
  • tkachev
    Thank you for your replies.

Yes it is the dyslexic 14 year old post.

I now think the post was just to generate facebook likes (and its done a very good job) as the painting is shown on a facebook page that sells baby clothes. I'm not sure how it works but I think the more likes you get the more advertisers are attracted to the page(I'm not sure if they get a cut). I have seen other examples of pages where they sell make up and they have used similar ruses to get likes.

I did post on the page as I was concerned about the hundreds of people wanting to buy the original painting or prints in case they sent money in good faith. But then my post could easily be erased and nobody would be any the wiser.

I messaged the original artist in New Zealand but she didn't even reply or thank me for alerting her to a possible scam so I'm not getting involved any more.

The good news is a similar poster has 'offered' to generate donations for a charity I support and mentioned likes and links and selling make-up so I'll be able to get them to keep an eye on her.

So it is a scam.

I'm not surprised about the student story Slosh. I'm sure he got the message in the end!

Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You took action and did your best, Elizabeth. You can do no more.

Like many other things, the internet can bring out both the best and the worst in people.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    I've now found dozens of similar paintings online so it's obviously a popular subject probably because of the tuition video. It seems they are all for sale so therefore count as the artists own work, likewise for this girl.

It does beg the question why hundreds of people want to buy this print when many other similar, if not better, prints already exist. I suppose that is the power of facebook.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Blimey Elizabeth the things people get up to..and I can see how it would generate business..suppose you can do no more..I had to laugh at the letter Slosh..brain dont come into it... :shock:
    Love
    Barbara