Nice tragedy

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 16. Jul 2016, 06:44 in Community Chit-chat archive
Tragic news to wake up to this morning of another huge loss of life. Horrific to think how quickly it went from families celebrating together and enjoying fireworks to those same families running for their lives and trying to throw their children to safety.
So, so sad.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Devastating :(

Last year we went to France taking Lucy between her chemos. We celebrated Bastille Day in Bergerac it was a wonderful night fireworks then everyone dancing in the street, young and old :).

I am so unable to say how I feel. There is no way we could have run away had we been there. Those poor poor people and their families :cry:

Love

Toni xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    So very very sad..I suppose all the question will be asked has to how a van was allowed to drive down the front like this..surely after what has happened they had some sort of security on..my heart goes out to the family's..
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    We've spent so many happy holidays in France, & joined in their Bastille Day celebrations. Devastating scenes on TV this morning. Another tragedy - where will it end?
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    We feel sorrow for the dead and our hearts go out to the familes of the fallen, we hope those with injuries recover.

I am not sure why Europe is being targetted at the moment (softer target?) but they have our support.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    There is no doubt that today's events are horrifying but I wonder how much is due to the French national history of Empire? Perhaps the historical arrogance of some parts of Europe is coming home to roost.

What I find the most disturbing is that it was such a simplistic attack, I doubt that any security force would (or could) be prepared for that. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    I read of this abhorrent tragedy last night. So, so horrific by those who commit these evil deeds. Leaving death and suffering in their wake.
    France is a wonderful country, having lived there for quite a few years and celebrating Bastille Day, watching fireworks, just like these innocent people were.
    Such dreadful times that we live in, with evil doer's in our midst. There is just no telling when or where another attack will happen.
    Rest In Peace the innocent people who lost their lives and comfort to those who mourn and are injured.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    There is no doubt that today's events are horrifying but I wonder how much is due to the French national history of Empire? Perhaps the historical arrogance of some parts of Europe is coming home to roost.

What I find the most disturbing is that it was such a simplistic attack, I doubt that any security force would (or could) be prepared for that. DD

It's almost impossible to prevent this type of atrocity because the perpetrators place no value on life, not even their own.We can't be policed & protected 24/7 against fanatics who hold human life in such disregard.
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Absolutely awful. My friend had been due to be in France this weekend with her Husband but due to work commitments had to cancel. I am so thankful she wasn't there.

My heart goes out to all those affected.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Ours and other nations behaviour in centuries past does leave a lot to be desired when viewed from an historical point but it was 'of its time' and everywhere was the same.

With our own democracy to back us up we have managed to lead the world in many aspects of behaviour, we may not have done it in a modern fashion but we did set the pace towards a better world.

As in any terrorist action it is the innocents (children) who suffer whether by the loss of their own lives or their families.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I watched the coverage last night which was immediately followed by a long local news coverage of Jo Cox MP's funeral.

The contrast between the universal love which she inspired and the psychotic hatred of the Nice driver could not have been greater.

As Tez so rightly says
    theresak wrote:
    It's almost impossible to prevent this type of atrocity because the perpetrators place no value on life, not even their own.We can't be policed & protected 24/7 against fanatics who hold human life in such disregard.

Let Jo's bereaved husband have the last word:

“Jo would ask us not to fight hate with hate but draw together to drain the swamp that extremism breeds in. Thinking of all victims of hatred today.”
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright