Reactive arthritis - is this the right forum?

Options
Kal
Kal Member Posts: 2
edited 18. Jul 2016, 05:10 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, my Mum has been badly struck by what we think is reactive arthritis as a result of BCG given for bladder cancer.

She has swelling & pain in both lower legs, pain in shoulder and hands. She is struggling to walk unaided and is unable to get out of seats etc. This has all happened in a week.

I am hoping this forum may have others who have experienced this and may be able to offer advice.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Kal

Welcome to the forums. I am sure you will find support, advice, light relief and friendship here.

I am one of the moderation team, we all have one or more arthritis 'hanger on' or look after family members with the same. If you need help with the technicalities of the forum just geet in touch via a personal message.

If you post in the Living with arthritis page you will probably get more replies, answers and help.

Best wishes
    ChrisK Mod.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, your poor mum, I feel for her. We are not the best people to advise because we are mere patients :wink: - has she seen her GP? He may not know about RctA but maybe other things need to be ruled out first which he might be able to do. Please let us know how she gets on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Yes, we do all forms of arthritis on here – unfortunately :wink:

I'm sorry to hear that your mother might have this. The good thing about ReA is that, unlike other forms of arthritis, it can be short-lived. Here is Arthritis Care's factsheet on it.
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-is-arthritis/resources/236-reactive-arthritis .

If it's 'all happened in a week' I'm wondering who diagnosed your mother. Her GP? A rheumatologist? What medication is she being given for it? We are not experts on here but I'd guess there are other things which could cause those symptoms so she should go back to whoever diagnosed her if things remain as they are.

There is a lot of we can do to make our lives easier from physio to gadgets. An occupational therapist could advise if she needs gadgets for her home. If you've any questions just put them on the Living With Arthritis forum where more people will see them. Maybe your mother would like to join us for a bit of support and empathy and a few laughs?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright