Yaaay! It's summer!

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 3. Aug 2016, 03:16 in Community Chit-chat archive
I know this because, despite the presence of cricket and Wimbledon, the trees etc. are heading to the horizontal thanks to the wind, the front door is rattling (which is disconcerting as I am home alone) so I will go and lock it, the sky is grey, it's trying to rain, the telly signal flickers, I need some lights on to see what's what and I will dig out some thermals and a blanket.

Deep, deep joy.

Oh to be in England now that summer is there . . . . .

DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    yip good old England..the weeds are taking off because of the rain..today is horrendous here...even the little birds are in hiding... :roll: the good news my lawn is nice and green... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Flamin' June....
    I was discussing this with a colleague the other day and we both agreed that June more often than not fails to deliver.
    On the plus side today the rain held off long enough for me to do my volunteer gardening slot.
    On the minus side the leccy meter is blinking away as I have the convector heater on against the damp chill.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I now feel so much better for putting on my electric heater when I got in from work, glad I'm not the only one!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • daffy2
    You're certainly not the only one Slosh. A couple of 'healthy' friends have admitted to putting some form of heating on several times this month.
    My hottie isn't getting its usual summer break either, there have only been a few nights when it's been totally unnecessary. If my feet aren't nice and warm I just can't get to sleep.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I've not put the heating on but, when we skype with the Los Angeles branch of the family, we are in sweaters and they're in skins with the air con on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It's the second day of August, around mid-day, and the lights are on (yes, someone is home :wink: ) The rain continues with its very wet drizzle (and the garden needs it so I must be pleased) but somehow feel responsible for the current conditions: around ten days ago (in the midst of the heat) we made the 'mistake' of ordering two sun loungers, two foot stools and one table which were delivered yesterday. Well done us! :cheers: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Ah, so now we know who to blame, DD!!
  • daffy2
    It's not all DD's fault. I bought a sunlounger last week and also cleaned up a garden chair and little table so I could sit outside with my cuppa/lunch.
    I've just seen the effect of the cool weather earlier this summer - the utility bills were estimates so I've read the meters to send in correct ones and the leccy bill is much higher than it should be this quarter. Ah well, it's no good having money sitting in the bank these days so I might as well be warm.
    We had some welcome overnight rain and today it's been very moist(but no actual precipitation) and grey, so lights on here as well.
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Working on the premise that buying summer furniture brings rain, I'm going out tomorrow to buy the biggest brolly I can find - surely the sun will come out then?
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Sun's out!!

:cheers:

Was also about to purchase garden furniture - will hang on for a bit ;)