Humira problems.

Becky88
Becky88 Member Posts: 96
edited 25. Aug 2016, 08:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
I just wondered if anybody can help me with a problem that I have been having recently with the Humira pen. I have injected at least 10 times without any problems but have now had a problem on several occasions where, after injecting, I move the pen away and some of the liquid runs down my leg. I am baffled as to why this has started happening and concerned that I am not getting a the full dose. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've had this happen on two or three occasions, which was put down to a faulty pen. I've been on humira now for 10 years, and I always count the seconds off before removing the pen - I count about 30 seconds in my head. The other thing which may help is perhaps altering the angle of the pen -I angle it slightly downwards rather than in a straight line.

Hope this helps - I actually think I was much more careful in the early days of my injections.
  • Becky88
    Thank you very much for your help. It is much appreciated.
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    No problem - happy to help. Hope your next injection goes well.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I pinch as much flesh as possible (I inject in my stomach) and ensure that the pen is at 90 degrees to my skin. Although I don't enjoy the experience I keep the pen in place for a slow count of three after the green line has 'landed' and remove it as gently as I can.

I recall my early months of injecting humira; they were not easy but not due to 'leakage'. I have also experienced one faulty pen but that was many moons ago. I've been told by Healthcare at Home (who deliver my humira) that a new style of pen has been designed, my next delivery is due on Bank Holiday Monday so maybe I will get them but I don't know. Have you heard about this? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Becky88
    Thank you, DreamDaisy, for your reply. Yes, I have started using the new pens. I think the main difference is that they contain less liquid than the previous ones....which worries me more if any of the precious liquid escapes. I have found that they are less painful. I always inject into my upper thighs and am now wondering whether it might be better to try sitting down. I was also told that the pen could be faulty, the first time it happened...but surely three pens couldn't have been faulty. Thank you for your help.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Becky sorry I cant help but just want to welcome you to the forum... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • Becky88
    Thank you Barbara.
  • dreamdaisy
    I do my weekly meth in the upper thigh and I was advised by my hospital to do so, seated on my bed, with my legs out straight before me: this relaxes the muscles thus making injecting easier and kinder; if you do it standing then your muscles are tensed which makes it harder to pinch enough skin. I hope your next one goes better. DD
  • Becky88
    Thank you DD. I will try this.
  • dreamdaisy
    I reckon it will make things better for you. My humira is coming on Monday (what a way to spend a Bank Holiday, waiting for legal drugs to be delivered :wink: ) so I'm expecting the new design of pen. They HAVE to be better than my current ones! DD
  • Becky88
    I hope that you get on OK with the new pens. They definitely have been less painful for me.
  • dreamdaisy
    I'm used to self-injecting so hopefully all will go well. With my current batch I remove the pen from the fridge for around 20 minutes so it warms a little to reduce the sting (I learned this trick from the forum.) I've always thought that it was a very concentrated dose so maybe this new design will reduce the impact. I am pleased that they are working better for you and I hope my 'tip' helps further. My hospital has always been very good with information, I know I am lucky on that front. DD