Flare-up after stressful medical procedure?

Megrose2
Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
edited 4. Sep 2016, 04:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
As you may know, I've just had a trapeziectomy, which didn't go according to plan. I also had to go to A&E on Friday and they had to cut off my plaster cast - with great difficulty - as it was unbearably tight.

Yesterday, I didn't feel too well and my right knee was sore. Then, in a matter of hours, it swelled up and became extremely painful. I couldn't walk, so with my hand and knee I wasn't in the best shape. Still can't walk today, but at least my knee has stopped throbbing.

I'm wondering about calcium crystals in my knee - yes, I've been reading - and understand that you can get this sort of sudden flare-up when crystals can be shed after a stressful procedure. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm managing with paracetamol and ibuprofen gel. I may go to the GP next week, when they're open.

Meg

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh Meg I am sorry, not nice after going through the op..I dont know anything about this, must say the crystals sound a bit like gout...I do hope it all settles down for you very soon..(())
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh my lovely, I am sorry to read this. Your op was not the best of experiences, was it? You did so well coping with it so, to my way of thinking, it's no surprise that your body has reacted in this way. We are blessed :roll: with payback for experiencing both fun and stress - arthritis does not (and will not) discriminate between the two. Stupid disease.

My advice (for what it's worth) is to rest as much as you can over the next few days. Rest is not a waste of time, it's an essential (but sometimes undervalued) part of recuperation. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Nothing helpful to say, I just hope things start to settle down for you soon, and in the mean time rest and be kind to yourself.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You have been through an enormously stressful time, Meg, and I see no reason at all for pondering calcium crystals, whatever they may be. Stress produces flares – end of, in my book.

As the others have said – rest, rest, rest. And elevate. And ice if it helps. If that doesn't help the GP will be open again tomorrow.

I send my very best to both you and Mr M. This is a trying time, isn't it?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose2
    Thank you for all your kind words. The swelling has just about gone now, although my knee is a little tender, as I discovered when the GP prodded it yesterday.

I had a blood test this morning and, you were quite right, Barbara, the GP thinks it may be gout. I had a similar experience six weeks ago in the other knee. I was surprised to learn that gout is a form of arthritis - who knew? I should get the results next week sometime, so we'll see where we go from there! I've got kidney stones and have been taking a diuretic for 16 years, all of which may well be related. Hey ho!

Meg :)
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Sorry about all your post op problems,Ive never had an op so I don't know what its like afterwards,hope things get better soon. (((()))) Mig
  • stickywicket
    I hope it's not gout but, just in case, here's some info on it https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-is-arthritis/types-of-arthritis/54-gout
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose2
    Thank you, Mig, also Sticky, the link is very helpful. The GP said if it wasn't gout, it's probably pseudo gout, so I'm not sure if that wii mean a knee x-ray or just wait to see if it happens again. We'll see.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    Either way, not at all nice and absolutely rubbish timing just after your op. How are things today, Meg?
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose2
    I'm fine, thanks Sticky. Keen to get this cast off on Tuesday, hopefully! The knee swelling has gone down completely and it's more or less back to its usual grumpy, arthritic self, so that's good. :?

The lovely GP I usually see has gone on holiday for a month - how very dare he? - so I saw a locum last week, but he was excellent. However, I've made an appointment with my own GP when he gets back in October to talk things through with him re the useless brachial plexus block and the possible gout.

Thanks for asking :)

Meg