Humira, H@H and prescription charges

Options
AnneKiLosingIt
AnneKiLosingIt Member Posts: 3
edited 4. Oct 2016, 05:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there all,

I've recently been diagnosed with AS and had my bloods and chest x-ray in preparation for Humira injections once a fortnight. I was wondering if you guys could tell me how it works with Healthcare at Home and prescription charges for the Humira pens. Do I have to set up an account and is each pen one prescription or is it a monthly fee. I already have Arcoxia which i pay for as and when I pick up my prescription but was thinking that the prepayment card would help now I would be on 2 prescriptions.

Thanks
Anne

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi AnnaKilosingit.
    Welcome to the forum you will find all forums friendly and helpful
    And kind. Just look round the forums and choose the ones that suit you most and get started.
    Hope all goes well, all the best.
    Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hi there, Anne. Sorry, I can't help as I don't do the injected stuff and, besides, I'm old so don't pay for prescriptions :lol: but I just wanted to say hello and welcome :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's lovely to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us.

I have been taking humira for some years now and my hospital pays for it, my injected methotrexate too. I am not charged in any way, shape or form for the deliveries of the meds, new sharps and the collection of filled sharps, the lovely tax-paying people such as my husband and employed friends keep me in this kind of medical 'clover'. :wink: I hope this will put your mind at rest.

For my other meds (prescribed by my rheumatologist and my GP) I cover the cost with the prepayment certificate, I have six other meds so it is cheaper. Prepayment certs. (PPCs) can be renewed quarterly or annually so work out what you are paying per month per script, the rate of renewal and that might help you determine whether it's worth it or not.

I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have a pre-payment card, when you apply there is a guide you can use to work out if you will save. Mine is an annual one and I pay just over £10 a month with two "free" months.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    As DD said, the hospital prescribe my injected Methotrexate, H@H deliver it with sharps bin, plasters etc and it costs me nothing. I also have a prepayment certificate which saves me a small fortune because I take lots of medication for all manner of stuff!

I have to say H@H have been really reliable, they ring to check how many pens I have at least 3 weeks before I need more, and always check whether I need new sharps bins etc.

I hope the new meds work well for you.

Deb xx
  • AnneKiLosingIt
    AnneKiLosingIt Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies and help. I am amazed that I don't have to pay even a prescription charge! I knew that hospital drugs were given without charge but didn't think this fell into that area so was trying to budget for the long term. I have received clear results on all my bloods and chest x-ray now so just waiting to hear from Healthcare At Home. I am really keen to see what difference the Humira has and hoping that injecting myself isn't too difficult. Fingers crossed for more mobility soon.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Mine are crossed for you :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Just to encourage you that injecting yourself is really not too bad. The hospital will train you and not set you loose until they're sure you've got the hang of it. I t feels a bit weird at first, but really it's just a case of taking a deep breath and going for it! Glad the results have all been good, hope that you get some really good benefits from your new meds.

Deb x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello AnneKiLosingIt
    I am another that cant help, but good luck and welcome to the forum..
    Love
    Barbara