Anyone had a revision of a THR?

Options
Susan
Susan Member Posts: 6
edited 4. Oct 2016, 08:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone, I am new to this website. I wondered if anyone had experienced a hip replacement revision? My THR was about 2 and half years ago and it did not work out very well. It took me ages to convince the consultant that something was wrong. Eventually I was sent to the RNOH for a second opinion and offered another op, to replace part of the original hip replacement. I'm told there are risks, particularly that the joint might not be stable. Friends and family want me to have the op but I am nervous about it.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, alas I cannot help because I haven't had any replacements but hopefully someone who has will spot your post. Surgery of any kind is a big decision and so never easy to make. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hello Susan and welcome to the forum.

I'm not very well up on THR revisions. Both my THRs have done very good and lasting service but I've had a knee revised. That was about 6-7 years ago and it's still brilliant. (I've had RA for over 50 years hence all the replaced joints.)

I was in no doubt about any of my joint replacement operations. The pain was excruciating and anything had to be better. They've all been great.

Were you told what went wrong with your THR and why? (I'd want to know the chances of it happening again.)

This article, by a surgeon well-versed in hip revision surgery, might help. (ARUK is a site you can trust.) http://tinyurl.com/h9ecjyj There seems to be no more chance of a revision going wrong than a first THR. However, I was told, when having my knee revision, that it does carry more ongoing risks of infection than a straight TKR (and, of course, revision ops are twice as long) but I've had no problems at all with mine. I'll certainly have the other TKR revised, and the THRs, if it becomes necessary.

You say you've been 'offered' a revision. How enthusiastic was the surgeon about it? Was he merely willing to do it if that was what you wanted or did he sound as if he felt it should be done? How much pain are you in and how does it affect your daily life? These are all questions I'd be asking myself.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Susan
    And welcome to the forum, I haven't had a revision but when having my second THR 6 months ago there was a lady in the same position has you, she had spent a couple of years trying to convince then there was something wrong..it was out of line so she had the revision ..I saw her for 4 days before I came out and said she could feel the difference..its an hard decision for you ..and I wish I could help more...good luck
    Love
    Barbara
  • Susan
    Susan Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks Barbara, for your kind thoughts. It's always good to hear about other people who have had similar experiences - I don't know any personally. So even little stories like yours, about the lady you met in hospital, are good to hear. I hope your THRs are behaving well! Best wishes.