say hello

rockape
rockape Member Posts: 3
edited 15. Oct 2016, 06:00 in Say Hello Archive
hi all i am new here i was diagnosed just over 2 years ago with arthritis of the spine only after having a mri scan for a ruptured disc i take amitriptyline nightly so i don,t wake up in the morning feeling stiff then just recently had another mri scan and this time results came back with 3 area,s of my right knee with arthritis and a tear of the meniscus consultant wont operate wants to try other options first had injection in side of knee GP says last for 3 months only lasted 3 weeks so GP has put me on indometacin 50mg just to try and bring the swelling down i also mentioned to GP [ i can now say why people feel alone] on the nhs choices website it says OA you should have a health care team to help you too come to terms with arthritis and everything we have to contend with but the GP looked at me as if i had 3 heads they dont know anything about having a health care team weather this is rare or is it common within the nhs

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. One of the major problems with OA is the fact it is very common, there are around ten million arthritics in the UK and the majority have OA. I've never heard of having a healthcare team (it sounds very idealistic ) but I interpret that as meaning my GP and me, she does what she can in prescribing pain relief and anti-inflammatories, I take them as needed and look after my joints as best I can (mine affects both ankles, both knees and both hips). The forum is my support group, I can talk to people all over the country with similar troubles which is a great help because none of my peer group are affected - yet :wink: I'm sure one or two will join the ten million in due course.

It sounds as though you had a steroid injection, I've had a number of these and they rarely worked beyond three days - they are not a fix as such, they are meant to disguise our symptoms so we 'feel' better but they must be sparingly given because they affect the whole body, thinning all tissues. If your swollen knee is hot to the touch then icing it may bring some temporary relief, I have a thera-pearl ice pack but I used to use frozen peas.

More people look in on the Living with Arthritis board so you may gain more replies if you post on there. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums from the moderation team rockape.

It does sound as though you have a lot going on and am sorry you feel as though the support you are getting from the NHS isn’t what you hoped it would be. People on here report varying levels of relief after injections of the type you mention.

The following link has some information about them: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/managing-arthritis/drugs/drugs-p-t/#steroid-injections

We have some great members here with a wide range of experiences of arthritis and of living with the condition. I am sure you will get lots of support and information from them. Arthritis care also has a helpline you could telephone, (0808 800 4050), for advice.

As moderators we are here to help with any problems you may have using the message boards so feel free to send us a message if you need to.

Please do join in wherever you like, you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Ellen
  • rockape
    rockape Member Posts: 3
    thanks for the advice and the replys i have got in touch with the physio to get started with the treatment for my knee hope it is not the same person that i have had when going for my spine because all he said was anyone over the age of 25 will have arthritis in the spine so no big deal well it is for me i have to live with the stiffness and pain for the rest of my life onwards and upwards is what i say life to short have a great day everyone :D
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Well, that man wins the Idiot Badge of the Week award from yours truly, what an offensive remark to make to a patient; what's the betting he's asked a pregnant woman if she intends to do anything about being overweight? :wink:

Living with any long-term chronic condition is a big deal but again I fear the ubiquity of OA lay at the root of his thoughtless remark. I am pleased to hear that you have contacted a physio and I hope they can help by giving you a tailor-made set of exercises; and I completely agree with your sentiments. Good luck! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

It can at times feel like your talking to a brick wall when it comes to discussing OA, as as other have said its a very common condition, don't give up just yet.

Im suffering with OA of my left knee for just over 2 years, and at times I have had to push my GP for referrals for physio and for a steriod injection, which i had 7 weeks ago and still going. But as rest have said, steroids are a funny thing and the effectiveness varies from person to person.

I have found this by far the best place to help manage my OA, you can come here when you had a bad arthritis day and rant and rave, and you won't be judged at all, as were all in the same (or worse boat).
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I see the others have given you some advice so I just want to welcome you to the forum, its has been so helpful to me over the years and we all like to support one another..wishing you well with everything..
    Love
    Barbara