saying hello

Options
biggles
biggles Member Posts: 5
edited 27. Oct 2016, 04:57 in Say Hello Archive
Hi I am very new to this but am hoping to talk to people who share the issues we deal with daily. I am 65 and have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis mostly in the knees and fibromyalgia. There is no group in my area and I do think sometimes its good to talk??Also I am looking for a little advice. I wondered about trying an osteopath or having acupuncture to help to slow down what is happening? Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• biggles
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thank you Sharon.
    If there is anyone out there who thinks acupuncture or visiting an osteopath has really helped them with managing their osteoarthritis I would love to hear from you!!! Don't know what to try. I live in the Reading area so it's also about access to either one?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Biggles, it's nice to meet you and I hope the forum can help with information and support. I have too have OA and fibro - currently the latter is causing me much trouble which is most irksome. I have to go and cook but will be back later. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • biggles
    Options
    Ok!! Lovely to hear from you. It would be wonderful to hear how you are coping.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hi biggles.

I've had RA and, as a consequence, OA for many years. I've never used an osteopath but I do find physio exercises essential. I used acupuncture a couple of times. It kind of helped very briefly but not enough or for long enough.

I reckon we need to focus on what we ca do not on what we can't. I break down activities into small tasks that are easier to manage. I do my exercises daily and eat healthily. The rest is in the lap of the gods. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • biggles
    Options
    Thank you stickywicket
    Im just willing to try anything that helps to slow progression if this is possible. So many options have been offered ... The two already mentioned, magnesium tablets glucosamine and chondroitin etc etc ah well! It would be lovely to hear what does help others. Thank you I will persevere with the exercises I have on a sheet from my GP.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello biggles and a warm welcome from me..you are right we all find it very helpful to talk about things .and we are all good listeners...hope to see your name around the forum... :)
    Love
    Barbara