New PIP medical, is it ok?

Options
Airwave!
Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
edited 7. Nov 2016, 08:55 in Community Chit-chat archive
There are new medical assesments on the horizon for the PIP payments and I have to ask;-

Is it OK for the government to put the disabled under such pressure when assesments could be done by the medical profession and without involving us. I see it as unfair part of the system and should not be a part of our lives we have enough to put up with without an uncaring government exerting pressure over a long period with these assesments.

Comments

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've just filled in the forms for my P.I.P and did a 1/4 of it on the phone!! It's still stressful though the form was easier to understand. But the waiting is still stressful I've bitten nearly all my fingers to the bone and it's only been a fortnight. They send you updates by phone which is just a tease. I've already had my 1st grand mal seizure in 4 years over the worry I hope it's my last. All I can say is good luck to everyone who has to go through with this. I feel like a guilty person for being ill/disabled, I don't know why we have to be put through this. I don't see the unemployed people having to go this much stress or worry to get their benefit!!! :(
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    As a general rule, Airwave, I think they are an awful pressure causing stress and anxiety to genuine claimants.

Having said that I suppose there are a very small minority who claim and shouldn't really be eligible.

I think in the past people were able to get awards with the say-so of their GP who they have easy access to. GPs probably would be under greater pressure to support their patient.

You would have thought that a consultant's say so would be enough wouldn't you though?

Mind you none of them are likely to know the criteria in any depth. They have enough other stuff to know.

My problem is when the assessors reduce or stop awards for genuine claimants. I've read that some people have even resorted to suicide attempts they feel so helpless and despairing.

:(
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I think frog's got it spot on.

I was first assessed - way back - for Disabled Housewives' Allowance (the precursor of DLA) by my GP. I had to fill in my part of the form then he filled in his part. Except he didn't. He came round to ask what all this nonsense was about. I'd said I could do several things which he insisted I shouldn't eg prepare a family meal. He asked how then threw up his hands in horror when I told him saying much of what I was doing was highly dangerous. I guess it was. There were no gadgets about then to make life easier other than very expensive stuff.

Some years later assessments were taken out of the hands of GPs precisely because they were passing too many people. GPs themselves said that some people put them under enormous pressure and it was all time taken away from other patients.

I think there is no easy answer. Reforms are needed but, without the finance / professional assessors, won't work. And we don't have enough GPs to do their current tasks let alone do these assessments too.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options
    I have been concerned that the assesment exerts undue anxiety on me, I haven't been called yet but the thought off it is bad enough.

I am very concerned for others, I see no reason why a developed country should put disabled people through such a process.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I'd like them to take more notice of the medical evidence. The on-the-day assessments seem to take precedence over these.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein