Attitude to life, keeping young

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 16. Jan 2017, 07:20 in Community Chit-chat archive
I was chatting to a friend another day and it set me thinking. First of all let me say that neither of these people I'm talking about has any arthritis or any other ongoing health/disability. In fact both are in good health.

One, my sister who is 75 (20yrs older than me), last year had surgery to remove cataracts by laser so day surgery and she has never stayed overnight in hospital. Talks about getting older, not staying up late, buying things such as furniture for "the last time", not seeing her son and his family again (they are on a biannual visit from Oz), slowing down .....

Two my mother-in-law from my first marriage who I keep in touch with, aged 76 and widowed two years ago. Goes on holidays abroad with her daughter, has her teenage granddaughters to stay in the summer and takes them out and about London, goes to circle dancing and sometimes teaches this and looks after a long, 120ft garden as well as other things.

I know that I can do less than either of them but when I'm in my 70s I know who's attitude to life I'd rather have...and it's not my sister!
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• tupney
    tupney Member Posts: 28
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think that some people in their 40's act like they are 80, and some in their 80's seem 30.
    It is how they are inside, we all get older, things sag, and worry keeps us up at night, but, hey at least we are still alive, not the 'other'.
    I had a Great-Aunt who died at 93 (she went down fighting on the night of the Hurricane in 1987), and at only 4ft 10in she was like a unexploded volcano. She did'nt think that she was her age, I hope that when I 'grow up' (I am 62) that I will be like my Great-Aunt Lizzie!. Keep going, never give up!
    Tupney :animal_busy:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Hear hear!!

Think young is my opinion, do what you can to stay mobile and as healthy as you can, but I would have thought a positive attitude is by far the most important thing :)

I intend to be like Great Aunt Lizzie and Slosh's MIL. :D

I better not be like my parents. Dad gone at 66 and Mum at 70. Mind you my Dad could stand on his head and was doing press-ups the morning he died :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I think some are natural Tiggers and others natural Eeyores regardless of age. We don't change our spots as we get older we just get more so. My brother and I are more alike than our sister who is his twin.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    As usual you have hit the nail on the head Sticky. I fully intend to embrace my inner Tigger, although at times I feel more like Winnie-the-Pooh, a bear of very little brain!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    ..think I had better look for my tigger...I am in the process of buying a book positive thinking..hope it works.. :lol:
    Love
    Barbara