Cold callers

rondetto
rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
edited 25. Jan 2017, 16:39 in Community Chit-chat archive
I bet we all have these from time to time and we all have our own ways of dealing with these people ringing us up.

Here's my tips:

If they start out with, "How are you today?" say, "Why do you want to know?" Alternately, you can tell them, "I'm so glad you asked, because no one these days seems to care, and I have all these problems; my arthritis is acting up, my eyelashes are sore, my dog just died..."
When they try to get to the sell, just keep talking about your problems.

If they say they're John Doe from XYZ Company, ask them to spell their name. Then ask them to spell the company name. Then ask them where it is located. Continue asking them personal questions or questions about their company for as long as necessary.
They're paying for the call and they can't afford to waste time.

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Ron I love it, think I will try these .. :lol: like you say they are paying..now I cant wait for one to ring... :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    If they knock at your door, listen attentively to them for a moment or two (bear with me!), smile sweetly and then ask for literature saying you'll give it to your Landlord/Lady as you rent the property. They can't get away quick enough! It works - every time. Try it.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I don't have cold callers anymore as I saw these B.T Call Guardian phones while on B.T page. They are the best Phones I have ever had! Since I got them I have had 0 cold calls!! Here's the page:-

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/home-phones?s_intcid=con_intban_dmedia_devices_8600content4

Also I have found a cold caller block app for my mobile phone, it works a dream. It's called 'True Caller' :-

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.truecaller
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I answered a cold call on my mobile because the number shown (landline) came from an area where I have relatives and I was concerned it might have been one of them; instead it was one of those 'We understand you've had a car accident,' calls and I agreed that yes, I had, and it involved a fatality: mine. She carried on reading from her script and I kept saying 'I can't comment on that because I'm dead.' It was fun whilst it lasted :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I have had great problems trying to teach my elderly mother that these do not matter and to just put the phone down and not answer, the same with the front door. Its the first tjme in her 89 years that she has been on her own and never had to do anything without her family or my father to support her, the 'devil may care' attitude I use doesn't come easily to her or her generation, they got a telephone towards the end of the 80's.

I could quite easily tell these cold callers where to get off! Its the last thing I want her worrying about.
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    They are good ideas Ron. If they call my phone, I ask them to hold on a minute then put the phone next to the radio or tv for a few minutes. They are usually gone when I pick the phone up again. I've got a 'No Cold Callers' sign on my door and haven't had anyone knock for a long time. The last few times anyone knocked, I found that if I told them I'm renting, they soon left.

DD, that was very funny. I'm sure they just keep reading from a script and don't really listen to what you say.
    Christine