Confused!

leloroux
leloroux Member Posts: 4
Hello I'm new and I hope someone can advise me. Five weeks ago, out of the blue I got painful fingers,wrist and shoulder on both sides of my body. It all came on in the space of about five days. My hands are swollen and it's painful to use them. Nothing hurts at rest but if I use my com mouse or hold a book I get a nasty, odd feeling in the palm of my hand. I'm waking up several times a night too. Using my hands to get dressed or cook is really painful.

My gp referred me at once but warned me of a long wait so we decided to pay. I have seen a private consultant twice and I don't think he believes anything I tell him. Now my nhs appointment has arrived and he has written to the team suggesting that my complaints are not supported be clinical evidence. He said a few things in the letter which kind of imply I'm an attention seeker though he does say that some tests must be done. I am shattered by this (and £600 poorer). I just hope the nhs team give me a fair crack of the whip when I see them tomorrow
. Can anyone advise me please, I am so upset by it all.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi leloroux,
    the helpline work on week days from 9:30 to 5pm and I wanted to respond early in case your appointment is early this morning.

Whilst your NHS team will read what your private consultant has written, as professionals they will want to make their own full assessment of your symptoms. So just explain as clearly as you can what your symptoms are, the more information you can give them the better.

Let us know how you get on. If you want to talk to other people with arthritis after you have spoken to our wonderful helpline then the best place to post is in our 'Living with arthritis' forum and also you could phone our helpline free on 0808 800 4050 as they are very supportive and your call is confidential
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Leroux,

As Sharon had already replied to you and your appointment must have occurred, we'd decided to wait for you to come back. But, if you'd like some further support or information, do get in touch.

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/diagnosis

Kind regards

Guy