Childhood home is under offer

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 4. Feb 2017, 10:39 in Community Chit-chat archive
Some of you may remember me telling you last year that my 92 year old Mum died last October?

I'm executor for Mum and she and my late Father had bought their house. When Dad died it transferred to Mum naturally. As part of my executor role, I've had to supervise the emptying of the house and had to get it on the market to be sold. We appointed an estate agent just before Christmas with the instruction it was to hit the open market 1st January. To say that those agents have been a nightmare is an understatement. They've done such an appalling job 2 weeks ago today I had no option (after consulting with my cousin who is the other executor) that I instructed a second agent and both were put on a multi-agency agreement. If the first agent sold the house they'd get their fee; if the second agent sold it they'd get the fee.

Yesterday the second agent (who I only instructed 2 weeks ago) closed a deal for us on the house. We didn't quite get the asking price but realistically I knew we wouldn't due to the condition of the house. I am delighted the first agent will not get a fee as they've done such an appalling job. Unfortunately I was locked into a contract which if I broke I'd have had to pay to get out of. I've been trying to keep family happy and also trying to fulfil the duties I'm legally obliged to do so as executor. I've had to be the one to walk through the house weekly to check it to satisfy the insurers and have to continue to do so until it's sold.

I grew up in that house. It was a childhood home to me, my late (older) sister Sue and younger brother Andy. I was 5 when we moved there; I'm now 51 (52 in May). I know it needs to be sold as none of us in the family are in a position to buy it from the estate. My Dad worked so hard to pay the mortgage and had 3 jobs at one point. He'd have been truly delighted at how much it is now worth. My main concern throughout the whole process of getting the house on the market/under offer has been "I want to do Dad & Mum proud".

Both my parents trusted me to be executor for them. I fulfilled that role for Dad when we lost him in 2013, but of course the process was a "paper trail" then as everything went to Mum.

I've told the agents I want the sale to complete in 6 weeks. The purchasers are first-time buyers so this is chain free and therefore no reason why it can't complete in 6 weeks. It also reduces the chance of the sale falling through. As executor it'll be my job to leave all the keys in the house, to sign all the necessary paperwork, etc. And to do the final meter readings for the property, push my keys through the letterbox and walk away. After I'll have stood in the doorway of each room quietly remembering the happy times we had there. It's going to be so hard walking away that last time ...

Life's hard at times isn't it, but then those of us on this Forum know that already.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I guess it must be a big thing for you, Grace, especially in view of the truly awful times you've been through recently. I hope things go more smoothly from now on. I must say we had a great estate agent - it was the solicitors who held things back - our, our buyer's and her buyer's.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Grace what a palaver with the agent..but glad to hear that your mum and dads house is now sold and I hope it all goes to plan for you...
    When you go from room to room , has you know all the memories will come back, and no one can ever take them away...you be kind to yourself when all this is over with, you have worked very hard I am sure your mum and dad will be very proud......(()) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Mums going into care today, can't sleep its 2.30, the fun of sorting her house out starts this afternoon. Theres not much of any value after a lifetime of scrimping and saving, just memories left most of them from times well past.

Right lets see if I can sleep?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I hope you got some sleep, Airwave. It's an unsettling time, isn't it, even when we know it's for the best. Sorting out your Mum's things will bring back many memories. I hope by far the most are good ones.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright