Post Op TKR Update

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 5. Mar 2017, 13:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

Thought I'd start a new thread on my progress to avoid confusion, rather than keep updating "I'm Back!"

I saw the nurse yesterday at the surgery. Although there was still a couple of "wet spots" on the scar she was happy with this, said there's no obvious signs of infection but reminded me what to watch out for. The dressing is now off. I had to get a new pot of Vaseline to smear over the scar 2/3 times a day to moisturise the scar and help it to heal further.

The knee is still swelling a lot. I'm continuing to elevate it as high as I can and that's helping.

Still "lurching about" the kitchen using elbow crutch in my right hand and clinging like grim death to the worktops with my left. When I'm really sore I use both crutches in the kitchen. Rest of the time I'm on both crutches.

Managing to keep pain under control but I still can't turn over or move in bed without the knee waking me up. Physio said on Monday this is normal. Tend to get breakthrough pain during the night so I use my top-up meds then.

My sick note from the GP lasts until the day I see the consultant (10th Mar). The GP has said if I need further time, I'm to "ask in outpatients when I see the consultant" which rather surprised me. I'll certainly ask the consultant if this is the case, but it wouldn't surprise me if he says the GP must generate a further sick note. I somehow suspect I'll be off about 8 weeks.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Grace,

This sounds good progress, though it must be a nuisance when it wakes you up. It's always good to have fall back/top up painkillers for in the night.

Try giving yourself a small achievable goal each day, I did this at this stage and it really gave me a boost.

Keep on keeping on. :D

Thanks for the continued progress report. a020.gif

Love,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Hi Grace

Glad to hear your recovery is steadily going well.

Keep going and let us know how it goes.

All the best.

Alastair :sun:
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, thank you for the update and it sounds as though all is going in the right direction which is lovely news. It will take time but that will pass - it always does. Keep up the good work, my lovely, your reward is getting closer and closer. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Sounds like good progress, well done you for persevering and doing all the right things!

Deb x
  • Sars4185
    Sars4185 Member Posts: 34
    Hi Grace
    Thanks for the updates, I am so glad your on the road to recovery. My TKR is booked 26th march so reading your posts has been invaluable in what to expect.
    Keep going Grace , how's the pain at night now ?
    Sara x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You are doing so well and so much of it is by your own efforts. I'm pleased the health professionals seem to be doing their bit too but really you must be a model patient. Well done, again.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I hope all is as well as possible. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • GraceB
    Thanks for the posts and the encouragement.

Had second physio session today. Discussed the stiffness and swelling with the physio. She seemed to think this will ease over the next few months. I'm not convinced the range of movement is where it should be as it feels a lot more restricted than my right knee did at this point. However, I'm persisting with the exercises, elevating and ice packs. I have a further physio session on 3rd March.

Sara - you asked about night time pain. This is a problem at the moment for me unfortunately and most nights I'm woken by it. Make sure you do your "pre-op prep" and uplift things you'll need regularly, pre-shop and freeze lots of meals if you live alone as you'll not be wanting to cook. I was given a raised toilet seat and kitchen perching stool by the NHS. These have both proven to be invaluable.

GraceB
  • stickywicket
    I'm not sure how helpful, or otherwise, comparisons are, Grace. Things are not the same as when you had your other done. You are older and you've been through an awful lot of trauma in the last 12 months or so. I know you lost a lot of weight which ought possibly to help but I think your other health and emotional issues must play a part. Your health professionals are happy and that's the main thing. Keep on doing whatever you're doing. It's working :D
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Thanks Sticky. At long last the swelling does appear to be going down although at times it is quite impressive. I'm still using ice packs and elevating the knee. My main priority at the moment is to listen to the knee. If it tells me I've done enough on it, then it's "feet up with puzzle book and a cuppa time" regardless what hasn't been done!

GraceB
  • stickywicket
    The perfect strategy as usual, Grace. No wonder you're doing so well :D
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Thought it was timely to update again.

Doing a few more steps in the bungalow on one elbow crutch at times. In the kitchen sometimes I can manage for a few minutes without either elbow crutch (but please remember I have a small galley-style kitchen) and can hang onto worktops for balance. Once in the bathroom I am managing without the elbow crutches at times, but again the bathroom is small.

The knee is still extremely stiff, it doesn't want to move easily although I can partially "force it" back to a point. I'm also getting a peculiar pain at the bottom front edge of the patella and when I lift the leg I'm getting a sensation of the implant pulling the knee downwards a little.

Technically I'm due back to go back to work on 13th Mar. I see my consultant for my 6-week post-op appt 10th Mar when he'll say if I can go back to work. My gut feeling on this? No way will I be ready to go back to work on 13th Mar with how things are at the moment. I'm still taking lots of pain meds, still having to elevate and ice the knee lots of times during the day. I could be wrong but I don't think I am. I think I'll need a further couple of weeks off.

My consultant did tell me immediately before my op, that he thought I'd need 2-3 months off work so I'm not surprised that my thinking has come round to the idea I'll need 8 weeks off.

I see the physio again on Friday morning which will be a useful check I feel. I'll update again after I've seen her.

GraceB
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Grace ..you are doing well even though sometimes it seems had though you are not ..both my hips were totally different...are you keeping a diary it makes good reading when fully recovered...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    I hope tomorrow morning's session goes well. And the later one with the consultant. You can only go at your own pace. These things can't be rushed.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Well I saw the physio Friday morning. She bent my knee back to an angle of 80 degrees, I nearly hit the roof with pain and the language was not at all ladylike. I very quickly released the knee from that angle as it was just too painful. She'll not be doing that again when I see her on the 15th for my next session! That night I was awake during the night with pain and had to use my top-up meds.

Physio said the knee replacement itself will do the bend but it's all the soft tissue/muscle damage, and post op swelling and pain that's restricting it.

I'm still not sure if I'll get back to work on the 13th. I intend to see what this week brings re mobility, pain and swelling. The physio said she thought the weird movement sensations I was getting were from the replacement and to discuss it with the consultant when I see him on 10th. So I've added that to the list.

I'll update again later in the week.

GraceB