MY MAM

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 4. Mar 2017, 11:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, Remember my mam went into hospital more than a year ago, then from there to a nursing home. Luckily its about 10 minutes away from my brother who can see her easily.
I have got phone calls from her most days. Brother will ring me on his mobile, pass it to her and its a very short conversation. No 1.......for a 94 year old....what's a mobile ? LoL and she is pretty deaf but we manage. Until today......Billy rang me tonight and said she had been taken into hospital, She hadn't felt well yesterday, didn't eat, then during the night was ill and vomited up blood so the nurses called the doctor.
They think it is bleeding and that it could go to her lungs.
The nurse said she couldn't tell me anything. She confirmed things Billy had said and that was it. Except to say that they were giving her 24 / 48 hours with all the tubes in then they would make a decision. No more than that. She said the doctor was coming round tomorrow so ring my brother and ask him what has been said. I don't know whether to fly over or not now. Oh yes the nurse said she wasn't responding to anything like pain. Usually if you squeeze a patient gently they will go ohh!! but there was no response.
If I suddenly disappear you will know what's happened. Barbara would be one of the people that would know

Love
Hileena

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hileena, what a difficult situation for you, my thoughts are with you.
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Daffy
    Thanks.......Its hard to know whether to fly over now or wait and see if there is some more information.
    There used to be a flight straight through from Newcastle to Belfast. They have cancelled that now {just discovered that tonight} the airport that it goes to now is about 45 miles away to Belfast City Centre

Love
    Hileena
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    There's always something to make a difficult decision even more complicated isn't there? 45 miles is a long way to have to work round. All the best with whatever you decide to do.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    A tough time, Hileena, and no easy, simple or one-size-fits-all answers. I hope whatever you do or don't do you'll feel it was the right thing for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,411
    Options
    Gosh Hileena

Your lovely Mam :( I am sending you lots of strength to cope with whatever happens.

Hoping for the best

Love

Toni xxx
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Hileena
    So sorry to hear your news. I will be thinking of you. It is not an easy decision but I am sure you will make the right one x
    NB
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi SW, Toni and NB,

Well at the present I'm doing nothing. Billy went up to see her after the doctor had been and I could tell by his voice how pleased he was {not just his words} He said she was talking and seemed quite happy.
    She used to say to him that she hated the home which is a lovely home and blamed him for putting her in there and said she wished she was back in her own house.
    Today she said to him she wished she was back in the home, she was bored there {she's in a side room on her own} and she kept talking about the home and the people there and how she had people to talk to but didn't in the hospital :lol: So I thibnk she'll be back in the home before long although its hard to tell.
    At Ninety Four you don't know whats going to happen and how quickly. Meantime I think Billy and I are more settled.
    Thanks for all your thoughts and good wishes.

Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Hileena
    Its so hard on you being so far away. and its all worry...you will feel guilty whatever you do...your Mam is such a strong lady bless..its the Irish blood I am convinced.. glad she is doing a little better..at least you know she is being look after..you look after yourself and we are all here...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    That sounds a bit more optimistic, doesn't it, and I'm pleased you have a bit of strain taken off your shoulders.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Options
    Thanks Barbara and Sticky

Love
    Hileena
  • stremlett
    stremlett Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Any more news about you mother hileena? It's hard enough caring about elderly parents but distance and your own illness must have given you lots of extra anxiety. Sending you a hug {{}}, Sue
  • hileena111
    Options
    My Mam seems to be OK {well as OK as can be } She is back in the home....out of hospital now and is quite happy.
    Thanks for asking
    Love
    Hileena