About to start methotrexate- cola drinks

Options
lisburnmark
lisburnmark Member Posts: 10
I'm about to start using methotrexate to treat psoriatic arthritis and I've just received my medication from the chemist and the bottle has a note added avoid cola drinks.
Can you give any advice ? Is it avoid for the days either side of taking tablets or avoid drinking carbonated drinks altogether??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,493
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi lisburnmark,

Thanks for getting in touch with Arthritis Care.

As the Arthritis Care Helplines team are not medically trained, we can’t give medical advice I’m afraid. I suggest asking the pharmacist, your GP or a member of your Rheumatology team for an explanation of the note, including, as you have said, whether you are supposed to avoid cola drinks all the time or just around the time of taking Methotrexate.

I’m sorry not to be of more help and hope you get the answers you are looking for soon.

Best wishes,

Rachael, Helplines Team
  • Inflexible
    Inflexible Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Hi lisburnmark,

Thanks for getting in touch with Arthritis Care.

As the Arthritis Care Helplines team are not medically trained, we can’t give medical advice I’m afraid. I suggest asking the pharmacist, your GP or a member of your Rheumatology team for an explanation of the note, including, as you have said, whether you are supposed to avoid cola drinks all the time or just around the time of taking Methotrexate.

I’m sorry not to be of more help and hope you get the answers you are looking for soon.

Best wishes,

Rachael, Helplines Team

I would certainly be interested in knowing more about this. One of my (many) weaknesses is the occasional Diet Coke and if it's not compatible with methotrexate I will stop post haste!
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,493
    Options
    Hi lisburnmark

Our Information Officer has checked on this topic and we agree with the information that NRAS have on one of their forums:
    'it is more relevant to high dosage use of methotrexate ' and...
    'One of our team has had a look for references on the internet, the only thing that they could find related to delayed elimination of high doses of methotrexate in a lymphoma patient.'

And as we've mentioned before, do discuss the issue with the rheumatology nurse at your clinic.
    Kind regards
    Guy
    Helpline team