Energy bore

Airwave!
Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
edited 15. Mar 2017, 15:32 in Community Chit-chat archive
Help! I've become an energy bore, the monitor has now been fitted, switched on and horror of horrors I'm using lots if the stuff, hhheeeeelllllpppppp.......

:bee:

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Don't worry, studies suggest that once the initial novelty wears off people find it easy enough to ignore!
    Seriously though, things like gadgets on standby, chargers, lighting, are things to start with, then review the appliances . In a hard water area scale can up the energy take of things like electric showers, washing machines and kettles. Heated towel rails can guzzle juice if they use an element rather than just running off the central heating.Things like fridges and freezers can differ in their energy use, even within a given A rating, and can also be affected by things like how they are used and where they are sited, whether loaded efficiently and (where appropriate) defrosted regularly. Frequent use of the microwave can add up - it may be cheaper to fill the ordinary oven in batches.
    My son has discovered that the dishwasher in his new home(there when they moved in) seems to use a great deal of electricity, so he is going to try and find out why - it may be down to operator error(his wife uses it a lot, he does the dishes the oldfashioned way)
    The Energy Saving Trust has a lot of information, would be worth looking at their site.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Our supplier was due to fit us with their Smart Meter last November but as it was raining on the day (and both meters are outdoors so to do the electric was not safe) they didn't and we are still waiting. Mr DD keeps threatening to change suppliers so I am holding off contacting our present suppliers as apparently different companies use different software to support the meters which can lead meter redundancy so more malarkey. Anyway, he's the power-waster in this household, everything left un-necessarily on standby, lights left on left, right and centre (I blame his office environment, he moves from room to room never switching lights on or off because he doesn't need to) and then he moans about the bill. Twerp.

I use the dishwasher but only after it's full, it uses less water and power than continually washing up by hand. I've changed the majority of the lightbulbs to LED and I turn light offs when I leave a room. I suppose these meters make it clear how much power we unthinkingly use which has to be a good thing. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    We've had the walls insulated, put more in the loft and turn the heating down and now its off during the day and night but on my low days I just crave heat.

Its taken fours years to get a monitor fitted, they broke something originally and wouldn't fix it, then couldn't get it to work, the gubbins was fitted six months ago and they brought the meter round a few days ago by which time I changed suppliers who don't use them so this is for my amusement now!

The meter was high yesterday and I accused madam so we went hunting to find out who and what it was that was using all the power up, turned out to be me (red face!), I had left the heater on in my man cave......oh dear.

:sun:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh Airwave! That's classic, you and 'im indoors may have something in common . . . . . :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben