Ibuprofen gel and methotrexate

Options
palo
palo Member Posts: 240
edited 20. Mar 2017, 10:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

Does anyone here on methotrexate use ibuprofen gel? I have been on methotrexate for years but with recent diagnosis of arthritis my GP said to use ibuprofen gel, as I cant take it in tablet (methotrexate contra-indicated), just double checking, it (the gel) is safe to do so, as it is not ingested.

Thankyou for your help.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    The best person to advise is your pharmacist. We are not doctors, we do not know your full medical history and we cannot tell you the best course of action.

I use it but only in extremis and only to for my OA: I am bone-on-bone through both knees and the pain is exquisite, the relief offered is minimal but I feel I've done something positive towards making the dross more tolerable. I also have diclofenac tablets (same dog, different piece of string) so I use one or the other. I prefer the gel as it's one less tablet to swallow and digest (I inject meth, 15mgs per week and humira (40mls) every fortnight). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • palo
    Options
    I have had confirmation that this is ok, but not long term use of lots of the gel..
  • palo
    Options
    Thank you for your reply DreamDaisy.

I too am loathe to swallow any more pills than I have to. Having got down from 30 a day to about 10 it is more manageable and I begrude adding anything more to the mix.

I plan to hold out against painkillers for as long as I can..
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You're welcome. I can understand the reluctance to take the pain relief but, even though it doesn't achieve much, it helps me to muddle through on a day-to-day basis and that contributes towards my self-esteem . DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben