Copper Bracelet

Options
palo
palo Member Posts: 240
edited 21. Mar 2017, 04:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Do copper bracelets help, or is it just an old wives tale?

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Short answer is yes to both.
    Some swear by them, others find no effect, and the scientific jury is largely negative about both effects and the mechanism by which it is supposed to work.
    Incidentally I have been working my way through a fascinating book - 'CURE A journey into the science of mind over body', by Jo Marchant. It's very readable and thought provoking look at the part the mind plays in dealing with health problems and treatment, written by a scientist who wanted to find out more about the issue.
  • ruthvictoria71
    ruthvictoria71 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    I have tried them and amber bracelets but not had much luck with either.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Before I knew what was going on I tried magnets (minimal pain relief), copper, supplements, diet, homeopathy and acupuncture, all with no effect. The disease progressed regardless because that is what arthritis does.

I do know people who swear by their copper bracelets but their version of OA bears no relation to mine - I'm doing it properly. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • palo
    Options
    I think placebo effect can be very strong, if you believe it will work you will think it does to some extent, so if it makes me feel better and does not hurt i will try it.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I agree, the mind is a powerful thing which can both help and hinder. You have nothing to lose and hopefully it will make a difference. I apologise if I seemed too negative, I remember hopes being raised and then dashed and I know how upsetting that can be.

Are you keeping your diary for your rheumatology appointment? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • palo
    Options
    I am spending today putting together my history, (very complicated) as well as diarising events as best as I can to date.

I have meant to start the diary earlier but part of me has struggled with this, it reminds me of everything I went through the last time I was diagnosed with a chronic condition and it was a harrowing time, it feels hard retreading old ground although I know this has far less unknowns and is far more predictable.

I want to be as ready as I can be for tomorrow, I know I must not expect too much, but it is hard not.

I can understand your reluctance to be too optimistic, I have been through so many relapses, I see myself as the relapse queen for MG so my only hope is perseverance which is ok.