Osteoarthritis and TB

Options
lozza812
lozza812 Member Posts: 25
edited 22. Mar 2017, 13:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis some 20 years ago; initially in my right knee, but now generalised to all the main joints on my right side, lumbar spine, neck which is slowly creeping into the left hand knee and hip.
I have been provisionally offered a job with the health service for which I had routine screening tests, including a Tuberculosis screen, which came back positive.
The TB is most probably latent, as I have no symptoms, nor can I ever remember having any. I could have been infected at any time. I am waiting for a referral to the TB clinic and I have been told to keep my mobile on!
Does anyone else have a similar experience as TB can get into the joints and cause arthritis; I am now wondering if this is the original cause as I was only 30 when I was originally diagnosed

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello lozza812
    Sorry I cant help but just want to welcome you to the forum, I know we say don't google but maybe you will get some answers that way..good luck
    Love
    Barbara
  • lozza812
    Options
    Thanks Barbara, I've been a member for some time, but haven't posted recently. This is a new development that has floored me.
    I was ill health retired from my last job and this was supposed to be a new start, but they may not take me on now, I know I wouldn't if I was the recruitment manager.
    I have always thought myself unlucky with the osteoarthritis, but the thought that it could have been prevented is now driving me crazy.
    I guess I'll just have to wait and see 😟
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I know from general reading in the press that TB is on the increase but I have never heard of a link between it and OA. My late godmother was hospitalised for months with TB as a young woman and was still ballroom dancing in competitions in her 70s until her mind developed holes and she forgot how to do it.

OA is the most common form of arthritis, there are between eight and ten million affected by it in the UK. The causes behind OA still remain a mystery but current thinking is leaning towards a genetic link as with the auto-immune kinds. I know why I have what I have but that doesn't make it any better. You may still be offered the new job so let's wait and see, shall we? Bridges are best crossed when they are reached, that proves they are there and then decisions can be made. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lozza812
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I know I'm just panicking. I just can't bear the thought that this could have been all preventable