TKR Post Op Challenges

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 1. Apr 2017, 16:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm 8 weeks post op (today) from a left TKR.

The scar seems to becoming more raised daily but I do hypertrophically scar (I make too much scar tissue), so I'm not surprised by this. The scar itself feels extremely tight and when I try to do some of my post-op exercises I can feel the scar trying to move, but failing to do so. I'm using a variety of moisturising creams (including an oil) in an attempt to soften the scar and keep it mobile. I have a lot of post-op swelling still and suspect this is a mixture of the scar being tight and rather un-cooperative and the swelling impeding movement. I'm still getting a lot of pain, but I expect that as the consultant made a point of reminding me I'd be getting post-op pain for a good while yet.

The knee has again tonight given way underneath me. I spoke to the physio about this when I saw her 10 days ago as this has happened before, she felt it was due to muscle fatigue and would improve over time. I'm due to see the physio again on 6th April. Had I not grabbed the door frame tonight I'd have ended up on the floor. I'm just grateful the door frame was there or I'd not have been able to have got up. Which in itself would have caused rather major problems for me.

I had my right partial knee replacement back in 2009 but was younger then, had a "good" knee to support the post-op one and wasn't struggling on my own.

I suspect this is me being impatient and wanting too much far too soon, but thought I'd post in case anyone else on the Forum who'd had a TKR on their second knee may be able to recall if anything similar had happened to them? I am trying to get this knee moving but it just doesn't seem to want to play ball. I'll obviously discuss this with the physio but if anyone has any ideas I'd be most grateful.

Many thanks.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Grace. I had both knees done together, and I don't recall quite the problems you're mentioning. But I do know that 8 weeks is nothing. Scar tissue takes a while to sort itself out. I never had my knees give way, but I was very fit before the op, and I can quite see that the traumatised muscles of someone less fit might give up the ghost now and then. And swelling takes ages to go. I don't think I have any ideas you won't have heard before. I used Bio oil on scars, did my exercises as often as I could without making swelling worse, used ice on knees a lot, and worried as much as you are about how long it was all taking and whether everything was OK! I'm no expert, but it sounds normal to me. Be patient!
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Thanks Helen.

Since I posted I've kept a list of times/dates when my knee has given way, and I've now got a total of 5 incidents so this is now rather a pattern. If it was just the evening I'd understand "muscle fatigue" being the cause, but 3 of the last 5 incidents have been morning or lunchtime. I'll have a word with the physio on Friday when I see her.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    That's sounds like a good idea Grace. I'm no expert on this!