Mosquitoes and Psoriatic Arthritis

Options
Lindywindy
Lindywindy Member Posts: 5
I have had Psoriatic Arthritis for around 15 years which has been fairly stable and well controlled with a small amount of Methotrexate for which I am very thankful. I am thinking of going abroad later in the year to possibly Jordan, Dubai or somewhere like Miami. I am rather concerned about mosquitoes bites and some of the nasty diseases you can get from them because I know that there is one particular disease that can attack the joints. I know they advise you to use insect repellant with 20% deet and to where long sleeves and trousers when the mossies are at their worst in the evenings. I was wondering if anyone can offer any other suggestions as to how I can protect myself better as when I first had the arthritis I was unable to walk at all and I would rather not take any risks which might trigger a major flare up again.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums, Lindywindy, from the moderation team.

As moderators we are here to help with any problems you may have using the message boards so feel free to send us a message if you need to.

Please do join in wherever you like, you will be made very welcome.

Now I will leave the helpline team to reply to your query. :)

Best wishes

Ellen
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hi Lindywindy. I'm just an ordinary forum member with RA, not one of the Helpline team. I can't answer your question, I'm afraid but I read your post and, given the places on your list, just thought it might be worth reminding you that those of us on methotrexate can't have live vaccines - which might be needed for some places. Good luck and have a good holiday wherever you go.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    Options
    Hi Lindywindy

Thank you for your post, and if you decide to go away I hope you have a lovely time. I can understand your concern around the ‘mossies’ and wanting to protect yourself against a major flare up.
    stickywicket has responded to you regarding the Methotrexate and live injections, which may be worth bearing in mind.

To hear other peoples suggestions it might be worth going into our ‘living with arthritis’ forum, where I think you will receive more responses: https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=8

We’re not medically trained on the Helpline so it might be worth having a word with your GP or rheumatologist for advice.

If at any point you would like to talk to us on our Freephone Helpline: 0808 800 4050 (weekdays 9.30-5) you are very welcome to call.

I hope this is of some help
    Best wishes
    Lynda
  • Lindywindy
    Lindywindy Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Many thanks for the replies, I already knew about not being able to have live vaccines but they shouldn't be needed for the places I am planning to visit but thanks for reminding me anyway. I may also try posting on Living with Arthritis.