Medication advice please

JenniferB27
JenniferB27 Member Posts: 74
edited 7. Jul 2017, 03:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone I am just after advice on medication. I am 45 year old and have oa in both knees and both thumbs, also cervical Spondylosis in my neck. I work and am go ding it hard to cope not being able to take any meds as they make me sleepy and spaced out. Are there any meds which will.actually work by taking away the pain and not leaving me unable to drive or work effectively?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I think this is something to be discussed with your GP: we all react differently to meds, what one person swears by can do nothing for another.

Arthritis and pain are common bedfellows, as the condition progresses pain levels increase. I have both an auto-immune and OA and my life became much easier to manage once being pain-free was no longer possible. I keep pain relief to a minimum, in my experience the stronger the relief the more we are removed from the pain rather than vice versa. I hope your GP can help you find a solution that works enough for you to get by. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You write of 'painkillers'. Most strong pain relief is opiod-based hence the spaced out sensation. NSAIDS (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatories) are not, though. These include ibuprofen, naproxen and dicofenac. If you're not already taking them they might help. Just ask your GP.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • JenniferB27
    JenniferB27 Member Posts: 74
    You write of 'painkillers'. Most strong pain relief is opiod-based hence the spaced out sensation. NSAIDS (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatories) are not, though. These include ibuprofen, naproxen and dicofenac. If you're not already taking them they might help. Just ask your GP.

Thank you! Today the doctor has given me naproxen
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My husband finds Naproxen very good for dealing with his occasional bouts of gout. If you are going to be on this medication for some time then a stomach protector should also be prescribed. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben