Hi!

RMarie
RMarie Member Posts: 5
edited 17. Jul 2017, 04:27 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone! I was diagnosed with RA just over a year ago; at the age of 29. I have had a few bad weeks at the moment though. I've had yet another flare-up of my arthritis (grrrr) and also have iron-deficiency anemia (is this quite common with RA?). I'm feeling achy and tired at the moment; I'm a primary school teacher and am trying to make it to the end of term. Does anyone else work full-time and, if so, how do you manage during a flare-up?
Thank-you for your help,

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi RMarie,

Welcome to the forum, it's lovely to meet you. You will be looking forward to the holidays - not long to go now.

Here's a booklet on living with RA ignore the apparent ages of the people in the photos - that's just how it makes you feel!

I mostly like heat, I also have a Tens machine that I use when I've run out of everything else - talk about forgetful!

Keep posting - I'll look forward to chatting again soon

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • RMarie
    Hi Yvonne!

Thank-you for the reply. I am certainly looking forward to the summer holidays :-) I feel sad as I have such a lovely year one class at the moment but I definitely need a rest. I hadn't thought about a TENS machine for the pain. I will have to look into that. I have been on methotrexate for a little over a year but have been getting frequent flare-ups which is something I plan to talk to my consultant about when I see him in a couple of weeks.
    At the moment I am using ice packs as I have a high temperature and active inflammation in my left hand and knee and cannot bear the thought of a hot water bottle.
    I am struggling with the lack of energy and anemia at the moment. I can't help but to feel sad when I look at how my life has dramatically changed. I've gone from being a happy, active 20-something to an exhausted 30 year old. I often find myself drifting to sleep at my desk after the school day has finished because the fatigue can be so bad. My social life revolves around work as I have no energy at end of the day to meet people and my weekends are spent recovering from my week. I really want to work part-time but it's difficult as I'm only a newly qualified teacher and, financially, it'd be a strain.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    RMarie wrote:
    Hi Yvonne!

Thank-you for the reply. I am certainly looking forward to the summer holidays :-) I feel sad as I have such a lovely year one class at the moment but I definitely need a rest. I hadn't thought about a TENS machine for the pain. I will have to look into that. I have been on methotrexate for a little over a year but have been getting frequent flare-ups which is something I plan to talk to my consultant about when I see him in a couple of weeks.
    At the moment I am using ice packs as I have a high temperature and active inflammation in my left hand and knee and cannot bear the thought of a hot water bottle.
    I am struggling with the lack of energy and anemia at the moment. I can't help but to feel sad when I look at how my life has dramatically changed. I've gone from being a happy, active 20-something to an exhausted 30 year old. I often find myself drifting to sleep at my desk after the school day has finished because the fatigue can be so bad. My social life revolves around work as I have no energy at end of the day to meet people and my weekends are spent recovering from my week. I really want to work part-time but it's difficult as I'm only a newly qualified teacher and, financially, it'd be a strain.

Yes it can take it out of us eh .... trying t have a socile life is ha when all your body wants to do is flop and cool down .....
    Had Ra three years now myself ... if did not have my Djing I would not have a ( sort of ) socile life ..... but started Thi Chi .... know sound mad ... but dose help on NrG levels ....
    anyway ... as my sister said to me ... ether get out there or it's match-dot-com lol Noooooooooooo!!!
    Anyway ...hello welcome to site ... am rather new too
    Have great week if you can ...
    J
  • Kerrsa
    Kerrsa Member Posts: 233
    Hi Yvonne

I too am a primary school teacher so can totally relate. I'm 43 and was diagnosed almost a year ago. The pain (mostly in hands) is manageable but the fatigue and methotrexate side effects are what gets me.

Just like you I find I have no social life. Luckily my fiancé is just as much of a recluse as me but do feel that some days he does not understand the fatigue. Weekend are spent sleeping and I feel that I'm
    Missing out on things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • RMarie
    Thanks for the support everyone. I've heard that Thai Chi is a good form of exercise for arthritis. I would love to start swimming again- perhaps it is something I can take up during the summer holidays. I have been told that sport massage is supposed to be good too but as I have a swollen hand and knee at the moment I can't bear the thought of it.
    Methotrexate side effects can be difficult to deal with. My consultant lowered my dose and increased my folic acid uptake so I now take a folic acid tablet each day (except the day I take my Methotrexate). It seems to have sorted out some of the side effects.
    Rachael
    xx
  • Kerrsa
    Kerrsa Member Posts: 233
    My dose has been increased and now take folic acid every day too. But don't feel meth is helping me!

I swim twice a week. I used to play tennis but with 5 affected fingers that is no longer an option. After a long day at school, although tired few that I can swim as it doesn't hurt that much.

Not long to go to the holidays!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Rachael. To go back to your original post, my understanding is that RA can result in iron deficiency and, unfortunately, so can the meds we take for it. This is what my consultant told me.

Twice now, thanks to zealous GPs, I've had cameras up and down me :roll: to check for a gastro-intestinal bleed because of low iron levels. They were all clear. However, in an effort to avoid it all a third time, I now ensure I eat some meat. I don't like it and my RA always felt better for my not eating it but iron from meat sources is more easily absorbed by the body than iron from non-meat sources. I now manage to keep my iron levels hovering round the acceptable level.

I know some GPs would just prescribe a low-level dose of iron tablets to be taken regularly but mine was of the opinion that, if there was ever an intestinal bleed, that could disguise the problem on blood tests. I'm happy to be dealing with it in a more natural way.

Have you had your Vit D levels tested? That, too, can cause fatigue and many of us in the UK are prescribed a daily supplement as sunshine can be a tad unreliable in these parts, especially for those of us protecting our skin because of methotrexate :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright