Giving Blood..Good news!!

5hellsbells
5hellsbells Member Posts: 49
edited 10. Aug 2017, 04:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
As a big wimp..it took me till i was hiting 40 to take a brave pill and give blood!

I only managed 2 donations before i got my RA diagnosis..

Got an invitation to go back again..and emailed to advise i couldnt go cos of my RA diagnosis..

Cue a phonecall from 1 of their Drs...although most immune suppressing meds are a no-no..Sulfa + Hydroxy are exempt...so as long as i stay on one of them and dont have any other health issues due to my RA...i can give blood again (once ive been of MTX for 12 months)

Never thought id be so happy to be told i can go and get a needle jabbed into my arm!! :D

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Congratulations! Is that the right word? Not to mention thank you. I'd to have a transfusion after one of my operations and I'm so grateful to all the unselfish people who give both their blood and their time on behalf of total strangers - especially when it means overcoming their own fears to do so.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • littlemimmy
    littlemimmy Member Posts: 111
    Yay! So pleased to hear this. I was only able to give blood four times before starting on methotrexate (I went seven times, but had iron and nerve problems on three occasions).

I've been trying to get more people I know to donate blood, especially since I can't and neither can my partner, but people are so reluctant, and it makes me sad.

So glad that you can give blood again! Yay for saving lives! Well done!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Thank you Shell :D

My own youngest had somewhere between 20and 30 units when she had leukaemia and I am grateful to every single person who donates.

They sacked me for keeping fainting :oops:

Love

Toni xxx
  • 5hellsbells
    I actually now feel guilty that i didnt do it sooner...but now i have another reason to hope i stay on Hydroxy and then i can make up for the time i missed..

Its strange tho..when some/thing means you CANT do something...makes me more determined to find a way! I am my mothers daughter!!! Lol
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    I actually now feel guilty that i didnt do it sooner...but now i have another reason to hope i stay on Hydroxy and then i can make up for the time i missed..

Its strange tho..when some/thing means you CANT do something...makes me more determined to find a way! I am my mothers daughter!!! Lol

That is not a bad attitude to have Shell :wink:
  • 5hellsbells
    frogmorton wrote:

That is not a bad attitude to have Shell :wink:

It took a while to get there..nearly a year on from my diagnosis and im now at the

"I have RA..but im goinfg to control it..its not.going to control me"

I know there are tough times ahead..but hopefully this will get me through! X