Dare I?

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 19. Aug 2017, 15:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
It is possible that DD will have my guts for garters but I'll chance it. Guts are lengthy things and I don't think she wears garters very often.

DD is flaring - quietly, uncomplainingly, indeed matter-of-factly but she is flaring. She is perfectly aware that this is what PsA does from time to time and is grateful it waited until after her holidays. She is hoping it will get bored with her soon.

But when I tell you she is planning to watch the women's rugby on TV this afternoon you'll know how serious it is :wink:

And we all know that, when things get tough(er) it's nice to have friends drop by to say hello.

So, I'm giving you the opportunity. Possibly at the expense of my guts. Or, at least, the lacy bits.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Can't resist the chance to say hello DD, hope that the rugby is suitably distracting, and indeed that the current abundance of athletics is providing at least passing interest.

Hope the blasted flare settles soon! :( Sending positive thoughts and plenty of understanding your way. My off spring sometimes bring me flowers to cheer me up when the going gets tough, so please accept some virtual ones sfl0 sfl0 as a gesture from afar.

Deb xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Sticky I bow to your bravery.DD women rugby isn't too bad :roll: sorry guess when you're flaring daft jokes you do not want,hugs I can do soft gentle ones done with love.Mig
  • JenniferB27
    JenniferB27 Member Posts: 74
    Out of curiosity, as I'm fairly new to the OA thing having it in my knees and thumbs and quite possibly my neck but will.find that out on Monday, do flare ups o my happen with RA? I ask as my bloods for RA have come back negative twice now but I get frequent periods which last days when my joints, feels like all of them, swell and hurt like hell, I am exhausted and I mean absolutely shattered, lose my appetite and feel awful! When I mention this to docs they just seem to shrug it off especially now after latest bloods are negative?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Jennifer
    sorry you are having such a tough time with your rheumatoid arthritis and your osteoarthritis. Yes it is possible to flare with both conditions but in my experience they are a little different. What is certainly common to both is feeling exhausted as you say. It is called fatigue and is a well established part of living with arthritis. Like other symptoms in can come and go but it can be overwhelming. Here is a link to our section of the website all about fatigue https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/fatigue
    Be kind to yourself and keep us up to date with how you are getting on
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi sticky
    you are indeed a brave women and a good friend, DD we are sorry to hear you are flaring quietly, we know you are someone who just gets on with life in a very matter of fact way. When you are well you are immensely supportive of other people who are going through a rough time so now it is your time to get some support.
    I hope you will put your feet up and enjoy the coffee attached for you and know that we are all thinking of you. sfl sfl
    Best Wishes from the moderator team
    Sharon
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    DD, so sorry to hear this. Sending you the gentlest of hugs.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Thank you, all of you, who have taken the time and trouble to reply. Sticky, I have far prettier things to use for garters so, for the time being, your guts are safe. Other plans for those can be devised - don't give me cause. :wink:

I am indeed enjoying the flattering attentions of my PsA gorilla. He has awoken from his drug-induced slumbers and is trying to remind me who's boss. As in the manner of playing with any toddler I am letting him think he is winning (don't tell him but currently he is). I am extraordinarily tired (to the point of nausea) but, despite all the sleeping being done, the feeling remains. My appetite is OK and my tea consumption has rocketed. My throat is slightly sore and I am sneezing and snuffly but this I attribute to the harvest which is currently in full swing.

As you may know I am not a great one for navel gazing and introspection. This has happened because it can and, thanks to the meds, does not happen as often as it did which is a good thing. It can be attributed to three possible causes but as to which is the culprit does not greatly exercise my mind. I've had a very active summer so payback is a possibility, the harvest and pollens are doing their thing so maybe I am not as suppressed as I could be (given the extra external demands of the season) or possibly the humira/meth combo is coming to the end of its useful life. That possibility must be considered because, if that is so, then according to my hospital's rules, my great anti-TNF journey is over. Whatever the reason it's here, I have to deal with it and I am.

Luckily I have my bi-annual rheumatology appointment this afternoon so at least I will get my blood results (what's the betting they're lovely?) and the chance to chat over further options with someone in the know should they decide that the humira is no longer being effective. I suspect I'm in for the long haul with this one so it won't be a matter of hours or days. My OA gorilla is pacing about too, he's enjoying the low-pressure weather and my lack of cartilage but he is the nicer of the two in that he doesn't play any tricks on me - he is what he is, a straightforward and honest gorilla.

I'm off back to bed with yet another cup of tea. YAAAAAWN. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Phew :D

You know the drill and are following it. There is nothing I can suggest which you don't already know so I send a few of my rare ones ((( )))
    Steven Wright
  • Gobutslow
    Gobutslow Member Posts: 23
    sfl sfl sfl
    Thinking of you!
  • dreamdaisy
    Well, rheumatology came and went. I wasn't seen by a consultant or a nurse but the physiotherapist who is attached to the department (one of the boons of a mid-summer holidays appointment). She does, however, know a fair bit about stuff and remembered me very well from our dealings back in 2002 and 2003. She said that if things don't ease by next week then I am to let them know so they can write to the GP to ask for steroid tablets and, because she was due to submit my application for a new round of humira, I have to go back in seven weeks for another joint count; yesterday 23 were painful enough to make me squawk and that is an automatic fail. Both she and me know that taking the meds is not enough to prevent a flare, we both agreed that overall the humira/meth combo is working effectively and my system is under extra attack at the moment so, bless her, seven weeks it is. Generally speaking my bloods were fine but the ESR and CRP were both (in my eyes) significantly raised to around double figures for the first time in a couple of years (hence possibly things being as they are) but in her eyes that was OK as the figures were entirely reasonable.

My appointment was at 3.40, I was the first to show up that afternoon, the previous four having failed to appear with no explanation. It is possible, I suppose, that they all found themselves unable to attend at the last minute and were unable to let the unit know but . . . . . . . really? Patients are well known to those who care for them to be rude, selfish and ungrateful, I am sure there are many others who could have benefited from an appointment with someone but they were denied the opportunity.

It is nice enough to sit out in the garden but I do not want to - too many blasted flowers and other aerial junk is about to upset my delicate eco-system :D so I am staying indoors. I will not be partaking of the steroids so won't let them know if things don't improve: I know they will, given time, and I am lucky in that I have plenty of that going spare - anyhoo, by the time I've let them know, they've written to the GP, I've waited three weeks for an appointment then another eight days for the pills it'll all be better. Onwards and sideways! :lol: DD
  • littlemimmy
    littlemimmy Member Posts: 111
    DD, you're such an inspiration. I woke up with a cold this morning and have been such a grumpy, moaning dinosaur all day!

I never understand why people don't turn up to their appointments. I'm so grateful to the NHS and all the appointments I get - why would I not accept the help?! It's even free, for goodness' sake!

I do hope you start feeling better soon. Thinking of you!
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    You know your own body better than anyone, DD. It sounds like you've got a horrible no-so-little flare up going on. I'm glad you got seen by someone who knows you and can help you move forward from this. Steroids aren't always ideal due to their side effects but maybe a necessary evil to keep that Arthur at bay. I hope this weekend is kind to you and that you rest but also find something lovely to do. Take gentle care.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Morning DD.(((()))) Mig
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Morning, just to remind you to be good!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    DD, sorry to hear things are rough for you at the moment. I hope they settle as soon as they possibly can. In the meantime rest and take care of yourself.

I prescribe 1 bar of chocolate per day (when it's medicinal it's calorie and fat free!). :lol:

Take care of yourself.
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, I hope you are all as well as possible considering the various boats we are in and thank you for all your replies, they are appreciated.

Littlemimmy, you are far too kind; me an inspiration? Hardly honey, just loads of experience is all which has led to my knowing what works for me plus the luxury of being able to put that into practice. I guess that counts as a blessing. :|

An insight into how things are: for the past week a small-medium black spider has been sharing our bedroom, sleeping during the day on various parts of the coving and wandering off at night. My usual relationship with an arachnid is similar to that of the Fanta president with truth - it can't be tolerated - but this spider, due my current inertia, has escaped the Gtech of death and has been named Gilbert. Yup, it's that bad.

The Spouse is being lovely, taking good care of me in making endless cuppas and doing the cooking: I could grow to like this way of life :wink: Actually, no, I couldn't, it's very dull. :(

In the interests of kill or cure I have my first session this lunchtime with my new personal trainer. We met before this flare began and I am determined that, if I am going to fall at the first hurdle, it will be due to my trying to get over it rather than refusing. DD
  • stickywicket
    Hey, go for it! Never mind the 110 metre hurdles - just one will do and please may I be cheerleader?

I too have a pet spider. He is undeniably dead and was attached to a wall in the garage (now utility room) when we moved in. He's at an odd angle and visible whenever I take out my laundry powder from the shelf below him. His name is Hieronymus partly because he looks so weird and partly because he's next to my Bosch washing machine. He's no trouble at all.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    I am firmly of the opinion that the best kind of spider is the dead version. Gilbert wanders off soon after we switch off the light and is usually back just after dawn, obviously shattered as he sleeps the day through.

Well, I awkwardly, painfully and slowly clambered over the first hurdle (as hurdles go it wasn't a biggie, say about two inches high). I ended up in tears and she asked why I was upset. I explained I wasn't upset, I was in pain.

People just don't get it.

Anyhoo, I achieved more than I thought possible and spent the rest of the day being slightly peed off that it's all come to this. I am a contrary old bat. DD
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Who started all this?! I now have pictures running through my head of garters and sussies...... stop it! DD, please forgive my thoughts and stay comfortable.

Does the weather affect PsA like it does OA? I note the changeable conditions lately.
  • dreamdaisy
    Forgive your thoughts? I positively welcome them, you know how to cheer up a girl :wink: I cannot speak for others, Airwave, but my PsA often has a go at me in the summer as my immune system can be over-stimulated (despite the meds) by a wide variety of pollens and the harvest. Low pressure weather can make me sniffly too. That can also affect my OA (as does the cold and damp of winter). DD
  • littlemimmy
    Yay for pet spiders! Let them stay - they'll eat all the nasty biting stuff. Especially daddy long legs spiders (the spindly pathetic ones with the long legs and little bodies (but not to be confused with the terrifying harvestman spiders!)), because they eat other spiders, even giant house spiders!

DD, you are too inspiring. My RA is fine at the moment and I still can't be bothered to exercise! You're in the middle of a flare and still exercise with a personal trainer!! Incredible!
  • dreamdaisy
    Awwww, shucks. :oops: :oops: :oops: Thank you.

To my surprise it is already making a difference. I am gaining in confidence and will now do a walk around the (admittedly not very large) block without a rolly or a crutch. My thigh muscles are already feeling stronger and I discovered on Monday that I could touch my toes :shock: (The Spouse can't, hah!) We had another session yesterday and she returns next Monday. I can only manage 30 minutes at a time but soon hope to increase that to an hour because it's flaming expensive. The benefits, however, are that she comes to the house, has no desire to get me into a gym, is hands-on with eyes like a hawk to correct my posture etc. and it's one-to-one. She's 21, incredibly bossy and cheerful, full of confidence and is doing me the power of good. :D I am coming out of the flare faster than I thought possible so maybe this is the way to do it. I dunno but it ain't doing any harm, that's for sure. DD
  • AnotherwithRA
    AnotherwithRA Member Posts: 6
    Hi DD. It's good do see people like you who dont give in to arthitis. You are certainly an inspiration. We are all in this together. I was currently reading a book on diet for RA "Doctor's Proven New Home Cure for Arthritis" by Dr. Campbell.
    I am sharing here what i have found in this book, as yet, that might help you too. I went through these foods to avoid as proposed:
    • All kinds of flour
    • All flour products like bread, cookies, crackers, spaghetti, macaroni, cakes, etc
    • Coffee, tea, cocoa, liquor, wine, beer, colas, carbonated drinks, soft drinks
    • Sugars, candies, icecream and artificial sweeteners
    • Jellies, jams and marmalades
    • Canned or processed foods, such as custards, puddings and prepared mixes
    • Frozen fruits
    • Any food manufctured or adulterated by man, such as prepared breakfast cereals or semi prepared ones.

I'll update as I read further on.
    You are doing great DD! 👍🏻💪🏻

Prayers and best wishes,
    Kanza
  • dreamdaisy
    Well, this morning I don't know who was the most surprised: me, because I fancied going for an unaided walk or him because I announced my intention. He came too, we did another route (I live in quite a handy location for walks around various blocks) and it went well.

Thanks for the info, AwRA , I've been there, done that and it made no noticeable difference (I have PsA, OA and fibro). I am aware that some say this has helped them and that's a good thing; it isn't, however, an answer for everyone. I am used to dietary restrictions after a childhood blighted by severe eczema and know that overdoing acid in my diet exacerbates my OA (as does doing too much) so I control what I can on that front but the PsA obeys its own rules (or rather makes them up as it goes along!) I started this malarkey back in 1997 which seems both an age ago and recent history. :) DD
  • littlemimmy
    It's brilliant that you're recovering from your flare already DD - I hope the recovery continues. I wonder if the exercise and personal trainer really has made the difference... I'm always told to rest during flares.

Keep it up DD; you're amazing!