Can stress make a seronegative arthopathy & fatigue worse?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited 15. Aug 2017, 05:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

I am currently in the process of being properly diagnosed but after having some herniated discs in my spine a couple of years ago, I was referred to have an MRI and Bone Scan, after injections did not take much pain away. I was told that I have bilateral sacroiliitis. My Rheumatologist thinks this is being caused by a seronegative arthropathy.

In April I was put on Sulfasalazine, after naproxen did not have an effect. However I am yet to feel much benefit from this.

I just wondered if anyone else had found that worry and stress can make a flare up come on? I am quite a worrier and wondered if I am having a lot of flare ups because of this?

Over the past 6 months or so I have been experiencing a lot of fatigue and wondered if anyone also had any tips on coping with this. I'm finding it quite hard to concentrate and seem to fall asleep after I've done anything like gone for a short walk, I'm 25 so would like to try and stay more awake!

Thank you in advance,

Kirsty :sun:

Comments

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Kirsty, of course a proffesional diagnosis is what we all crave at times but without rushing to the doctors with every small change and a lot of time and effort to support us, it isn't possible.

Without a doubt, stress and anxiety causes us to stiffen up and tense, you will tire as the days go by. I doubt if you're stretching or exercising, so the problems may stay until you do find some relief?

You may find that cognitive reasoning provides a relief, think of something pleasant to you! Daydreaming is not just for the dreamers, by doing positive things you take your mind away from your problems, even doing the washing up is a thought process, haha.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Kirsty

I am sorry you have been feeling so fatigued for such a long time. I wonder whether you have read our information about the issue?

Just in case you haven't here is a link to it:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/fatigue

Arthritis care runs various courses which might help you too, following on from Airwaves reply about the power of the mind:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/treatments-aids-and-equipment/complimentary-therapies/mind-and-emotion-therapies

Do keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Best wishes

Ellen
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    In a word, yes. Arthritis thrives on stress and fatigue is part-and-parcel whether we are stressed or not. Our bodies have to work harder to achieve less than others do as a matter of routine so it's no wonder we feel tired. Over my arthritic years I have learned to stop when I think I can do more, rest frequently and I have changed the way I do many things in the house to help me better manage the fatigue. Developing coping strategies that work for you takes time, it's much like the meds, a matter of trial and error.

I am not a worrier (I never have been and that's one of the blessings of my life) - have you had a chat with your GP about this? He may be able to help in some way. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben