Being a carer with arthritis

Options
Gobutslow
Gobutslow Member Posts: 23
edited 18. Aug 2017, 04:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been my hubbys carer for the last 5 years. I have coped quite well and can just about manage day to day. We muddle through.

I have been in a flare since I saw the physio a few weeks ago. :lol: I think I over did the exercises he gave me and pushed myself too much. Also hasn't helped that I've had a virus.

The thing is it's not just the stiffness and pain it's the incredible fatigue I'm feeling.

I can just about manage one task then I have to stop as I feel wiped out and nauseous. (There's no point going to the Doctors as they are hopeless and will tell me to wait until I see my rheumatologist, which is 5 months away!)

Can I ask how others cope when things are flaring up.

TIA x

Comments

• mouse2009
    mouse2009 Member Posts: 19
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi. You sound as if you need a bit of tlc and to be kind to yourself. Caring for a loved one is such a hard job. This is an obvious one but is there anyone who could sit with your hubby-family or a sitting service so you could rest, even if your upstairs laid on the bed you are taking care of yourself. Flare ups make me incredibly fatigued and with a young family and a busy job I know when I need to say to myself - rest, even for half an hour after tea when I know the kids are ok. If I can't go and rest I make sure I put my feet up for 10 mins. Really hard for me as always on the go but am learning to be kind to myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My hospital told me that when I caught an infection I was to stop the meds so that my immune system would begin to get to work to help fight it off - I can't remember what you are taking (I am sorry :oops: ) but it can help us to get better quicker.

It must be difficult for you, I find it awkward enough caring for a healthy husband. We keep a good stock of canned foods, frozen veg, fish and pies, part-baked rolls, pot noodle-type products (there are some very good ones available, usually Asian-style) and milk frozen in ice cube bags so when things are rough pretty decent meals can be created from nothing (and tea remains available should we run out of fresh milk). I do an on-line shop every fortnight, that saves me time and valuable energy as it reduces heavy lifting. Housework goes hang: if visitors are offended by the dust then do what I do, hand them a duster.

I don't know what you need to do for your husband but pace yourself, rest as and when you can: there are now going to be occasions when your needs come first so you can then take care of his. Have you read The Spoon Theory? Currently I'm functioning on around a dozen teaspoons per day which is an improvement on what it has been. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben