Pocket riders unite

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 24. Aug 2017, 11:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
If anyone is around on Friday 18th at 5 pm, I'd be grateful for some pocket support. I'm having an MRI scan of my spine which will last 1 hour 20 minutes. :shock: It's going to be very uncomfortable lying flat because of my jaw which is still healing. I'm nervous, not only about the scan, but also the results. I have weakness of the left leg and there may be "something neurological" that happened as a result of me being poorly in intensive care. Thank you in advance for anyone who is free to hang out in my pocket for a while.

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Im ready willing and just about able ,I will bring some cake.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Count me in too.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Count me in, now mig is bringing cake :lol:
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    I'll be there, hope your pockets are big!

Deb xx
  • JenniferB27
    JenniferB27 Member Posts: 74
    Be in there with you!
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I'm in. Budge up everyone.
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Can you make room for a little one? Count me in. schair
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I cannot tell a lie. I have the family arriving tomorrow for a week :shock: and I know everything else will go out of my head but I do wish you all the very best, Sophie, both with the appointment and with keeping this lot under control :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    I promise to be on my best behaviour :D
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • LesleyJ1509
    LesleyJ1509 Member Posts: 26
    Will be travelling up north but will still be thinking of you as I am waiting for an MRI on my spine too. Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    love from
    Lesley
    xx

“Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow.”
    ― Mary Anne Radmacher
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Can the moderators pop in too Sophie?

:D

Best of luck

Ellen
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I was going to come along until Alistair said he would be behaving - how dull is that? :)

Seriously, Starburst, I'll be there. Those things are not fun at the best of times and this is a biggie; you can trust your Auntie DD to set up an invisible G&T IV :wink: (Other flavours are available.)

sfl0
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    Gonna need a bigger cake.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    You can count me in too Sophie. :D

Love

Toni xxx
  • Starburst
    Gosh, I'm overwhelmed and incredibly grateful, thank you. It looks like we may need to bring the party bus.
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    count me in Sophie, I will bring a second cake too. XX
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • dreamdaisy
    Good luck for today. ((( ))) DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Phew! That's done and dusted and I hope that all is as well as possible. DD
  • Starburst
    Thank you, dear friends, it couldn't have gone any better. I timed my pain medication perfectly. I have been weaning down on the oramorph but decided to take the maximum dose right before just in case which turned me into a total zombie. I didn't even twitch in the scanner - they checked me twice! :lol: I knew it'd be cold in the scanning room, so I wore my favourite woollen cardi which has massive pockets. I hope you were comfy and warm. Wishing you all a very lovely weekend. xx
  • mig
    Pleased it went ok. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    You can't beat a good ol' swig of oro before such a thing: I once downed a fairly large measure and that particular knee aspiration was a breeze!

I am pleased it went well, when do we hear the results? ((( ))) DD
  • Starburst
    I managed to sneak a private consultation yesterday to get my results. The dr's secretary was very nice and managed to slip me an appointment in his busy private clinic. It was mixed news. The problem is not my spine but this isn't unexpected. I've got some minor bone/disc damage in my upper spine but it's fine as it's nowhere near the spinal cord or nerves. He said my lower spine is "pristine" which is fantastic, especially given I did have some inflammation.

The diagnosis; my left leg weakness is from neurological changes due to being in intensive care. I will be referred to a neurologist just for another opinion. Apparently, it can take up to 18 months to get a clear picture of if/when I will make improvements. However, they can't really tell me anything which is incredibly frustrating. At the moment, I've completely stagnated in terms of physical recovery and I'm feeling very dejected about my very limited mobility. This is the worst I've ever been in terms of my walking, so it's been a very bitter pill to swallow especially needing to use a wheelchair. In the mean time, I'm chugging along with physiotherapy and chatting away to my leg; "come on leg, you can do it!" has been the motto. It's not listening yet.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think it can do it, Sophie. After all, it's your leg and you are very much a 'can do' person. It just needs time and a bit of tlc. You're very good at tlc for others. It's harder for oneself.

I can understand the doc not wanting to give out much info (or, probably, not being able to) on a specialty which is not his own. I can also understand you wanting some sort of timescale to work to. Impasse :mrgreen:

It must be so frustrating for you. (Where's my magic wand when I need it?)

How's the jaw, anyway? Is the news any better on that front?

In the absence of anything more practical I send ((( )))s and xxxs.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Oh Sophie

A mixed bag then?

All I can say is that recovery due to neurological damage can continue for a very long time - up t 2 years I was told.

What you are doing is exactly right. Keeping up your physio and positive talking.

How is the jaw doing? I just wondered as it started all this.

Sending some ((()))

Love

Toni xxx
  • Starburst
    Thank you for the kind words. I've had a few days of being quite angry and down but I've refocused my mind. I've set myself a mission to find a self-propelling wheelchair that a.) will fit in the boot of my small car and b.) I can actually lift! Fortunately, my job has stood me in good stead for this task and I'm going to try a few at a local disability equipment centre. If I can't walk around the office or shops, I can either wheel myself or not go. The latter isn't really an option, I need to live my life.

The jaw - in terms of function - is perfect. I have almost got full range of mouth opening and my jaw is no longer "sunken". Pre operation, I could only open 10-15mm and now I can consistently open 30-34cm. Amazing! My pain levels are significantly reduced. I have some muscle paralysis and may need botox injections but this is minor. I've decided to wait a little longer in case it improves. The only real snag is that he snagged my salivary gland. This is the cause of my neck swelling and swallowing issues. Again, this may improve in time but if not, I'll need an ENT to cast their beady eye over me. However, all in all, the surgery did what it needed to do.

My emotions continue to be absolutely bonkers. I partly blame the pred and partly blame the boredom of being at home. Thank you for being with me as I go through this. It helps to feel less alone. xx